Thread: First time on a DSLR

Punto Lover
    ok mate, ill add you next time im on!

Punto Lover
    Took a few more yesterday.

http://rikki1.carbonmade.com/

Like the stones!!

PSC sex offender no.1
    Good shots there...The landscapes of the broads could do with a little foreground interest...but I appreciate that's a bit hard in the broads Gravestone shot is epic!

Punto Lover
    haha u like the grave stone one? my bro liked it too.

Punto Lover
    Rikki those new photo's are really good, keep it up

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by SirAdam View Post
    hopefully i'll be getting either a 1000D or the lower model 400D with a 50mm lens and a 17/24mm wide angle lens.
    Got a 400D.

So i've got a new camera - finally and i went picture hunting. Didn't go well even though i got loads. i only got a few "ok" pictures as most of them are pretty bad being my first camera, but the better ones i thought i'd share with you guys.

These first 2 are pretty boring and they arent very good either, but it's something else to show you guys other than a Punto.

So i give you, La Fiesta

See those were boring right? so i slapped on my wide angle lens and tried things a little differently.

Then i turned towards nature.

And then i went inside.

Punto Lover
    not bad mate! some pictures seem a tad dark. try a slightly longer exposure if your using a short focal length, when i do that it seems to work a bit better.
    Also get a neutral density filter, they are really good for getting deeper sky colours etc
    I think they are called neutral density filters, but dont quote me on it, its too early in the morning right now :P
    Good work. Better pictures come with practise so dont be dissapointed at the minute!

heres a few i did at the weekend:

I used the filter lense on this photo, see how the car looks darker and less reflective on the bonnet, etc
    Last edited by rikkimod; 19th January 2011 at 07:43.

Punto Lover
    Nice Rikki, i see what you mean but even with that filter it still looks really dark but i can see the effect your trying to show

I was thinking about getting just a normal UV filter just to try protect the lens but i don't really know any other filters and what they do to the picture lol.

Tomorrow i'm going to get some pictures of my friends Corsa, i'll try make it look good and if i can i'll post them up tomorrow

PSC sex offender no.1
    Quote Originally Posted by SirAdam View Post
    Nice Rikki, i see what you mean but even with that filter it still looks really dark but i can see the effect your trying to show
    If things look too dark you can either have a slower shutter speed to give more time to allow light in....or a wider aperture(smaller f.stop number) to give a bigger 'hole' for light to enter.

I was thinking about getting just a normal UV filter just to try protect the lens but i don't really know any other filters and what they do to the picture lol.[/QUOTE]

I've got a[n] UV filter on every lens I regularly use and they stay on...the UV filters are a good way to protect the glass and also cut down UV haze.
    ND (neutral density) are of moderate use to most people...they are quite useful for cutting down excessive blow out on white surfaces.
    If you plan to take a lot of shots of cars I'd highly recommend looking into a polariser filter.
    There are 2 types of polariser...circular and linear.
    Linear are generally plate filters that slot in to frame...coking A series and P series are the main systems for those.
    Circular polarisers are MUCH more useful...in most cases they are just screw-in filters...they have a rotating section so you can adjust the polariser whereas a linear is more set in place.
    Polarisers helps reduce glare of metallic surfaces and can deepen blue skies amongst other things. I use them to cut down reflections of excessively polished bonnets lol
    A a bit of an idea I use a 70-300 and a 18-55 as my main 2 lenses(also use some macro lenses but they are for pretty specific usage). Both main lenses have UV filters permanently fitted, I also have a cir-polariser and skylight 1b warming filter for the smaller lens.
    I have cokin P Series plate filters...with an adapter to fit either of my main lenses...in the P series I carry a ND8 graduated, a diffuser, a tobacco graduated(used it for a single shot about 3 years ago lol), a solid ND8, an 8-star filter and a solid red filter (for black and white film SLR use).
    That covers pretty much every situation I've ever come across.

Tomorrow i'm going to get some pictures of my friends Corsa, i'll try make it look good and if i can i'll post them up tomorrow [/QUOTE]

Good luck....it's a corsa

If you get stuck for ideas take a browse round my flickr account, fb fansite or ephotozine account
    Flickr
    ephotozine
    FB fanpage

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast