Thread: Bit of Detailing?

Bit of Detailing?

Hi guys, this might inspire you to have another think about opening up a car care / detailing section to the forum. I know it's not to everyone's tastes, but I know a few of you appreciate a clean car

So, this is partly what me and my dad have been up to, inbetween tweaking what I have dubbed the "Super Punto"

This is just an array of photo's of a car we did an Enhancement Detail on recently. Just to show what can be achieved.

So, this is the process carried out:

• Vehicle rinsed then snow foam applied to suspend dirt and left to dwell for 5 minutes.
    • Wash the vehicle using double bucket method.
    • Wheel arches cleaned.
    • Wheels cleaned using non-acidic alloy wheel cleaner.
    • Lower third sprayed with a non-caustic traffic film remover and then rinsed.
    • Panel gaps, door shuts, and badges cleaned.
    • Clay bar used to remove bonded contaminates from paintwork (inc door shuts and wheels).
    • Vehicle re-washed and dried.
    • Record paint thickness readings, and mask all exterior plastics ready for polishing.
    • Enhance paintwork using SIM-180 Rotary with suitable pad/polish combination. Single stage.
    • Cleanse paintwork by hand using pre-wax cleaner on a microfiber pad.
    • Pre-selected wax/sealant is applied*.
    • Door shuts waxed for added protection.
    • Interior fabric/leather cleaned and vacuumed.
    • Door seals and rubbers cleaned and protected.
    • Interior glass cleaned.
    • Exterior glass sealed using a water repellent.
    • Tyres cleaned and dressed.
    • Exterior plastics dressed.
    • Stainless steel/chrome cleaned and polished.
    • Final inspection to make sure your car meets our high standards.

So, on arrival:

So, as you can see, not exactly a pretty site!! The car had been subjected to Tesco £5 hand washes, and general mistreatment over the last few years (it's an '02 plate btw), including being driven half into a hedge..

So, after wash and some claying (which took us the best part of 2hrs just to clay!!), we were left with this:

More damage showing up under the halogens

And then 50/50..

Now inside the garage, day 2 - near side, like before, this was the one that had been in the hedge

This was from the drivers side which wasn't quite as bad - this mainly had wash damage..

One of the better 50/50's

Completed:

Got loads more pictures, but didn't want to bore you all. Main point of the thread was to see if there was any further interest in a detailing section??

And just to let you know, it's me, Matt, who is the King of Buff. My dad (GPM) is king of the wash mitt, and head receptionist

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

This thread is so special I made an entirely new section for it

Punto Lover
    impressive! How much would you charge for this sort of service then?

Punto Lover
    Wow! Great work mate.

Well that was an Enhancement Detail. Prices depend upon condition of the car, the size (as these 2 factors determine how long the job will take). This particular job was £300's worth, and it took us 14hrs.

However, I'm not here to tout for business as it were, more to show you guys what can be achieved with your cars if you know what you're doing, or if you wanted your car detailing by someone.

Of course, if anyone did want theirs doing, feel free to PM me and we can discuss privately. That's all I'm going to say on the subject though.

Quote Originally Posted by WilkyWay View Post
    This thread is so special I made an entirely new section for it
    Nice one Si. Just the thread that's special, or me aswell?

Brummy bummer
    That been washed with fooking sandpaper!?

Have you got a PTG mate? I know you're not touting business, just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Debo View Post
    Well that was an Enhancement Detail. Prices depend upon condition of the car, the size (as these 2 factors determine how long the job will take). This particular job was £300's worth, and it took us 14hrs.

However, I'm not here to tout for business as it were, more to show you guys what can be achieved with your cars if you know what you're doing, or if you wanted your car detailing by someone.

Of course, if anyone did want theirs doing, feel free to PM me and we can discuss privately. That's all I'm going to say on the subject though.

Nice one Si. Just the thread that's special, or me aswell?

Excuse me sir, but are you a trader?

I thought I'd throw that one liner in and then let that be that - as a freebie from PSC for helping to remodernise the forum and getting a new subsection created That's all I'm saying on it though, people know where to find me if they have any questions etc.

Kyle, yep I have a Paint Detective PTG. This car was showing readings on most panels of around 95 microns. As it happens there was plenty of meat on the clearcoat, but I hardly took anything off it. I could have gone alot deeper and spent more time on it to get it near perfection, but at the end of the day it's an 8 year old Jazz and the customer was happy for it just to be enhanced. I didn't even have to break out any compounds, or even the wet sanding gear (I can do that too. I'll have to get some pics of a paintless scratch removal I did on an old E-Class Merc front wing).

Punto know it all
    I'm up for doing a few cars if anyone wants to come down my end of the woods.
    I don't usually charge much more than the cost of materials, I get a few pms a month asking me to do a car, but for some reason people don't like spending money?

Punto know it all
    Ben just out of interest, what sort of price would you charge(roughly)