Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Dad...

Project Dad...

Ok, ive bought a GT....

A 1968 Vepa GranTurismo, codenamed Project Dad, by my mate Teabag, as the Vespa is old enough to be me Dad Nick's is his best mate, mines me Dad

After the fun of fetching Nicks and realising how cool his PX is, and it falling on him off the flat bed i decided i had to get one. Stupidly i've gone and bought a pile of scrap metal that was once a Vespa GT, no documents, unregisted, and i dont think it has a key either. All for the tidy sum of £400 (thats what i told the missud, actually paid £590) to some Yocal from Horncastle in Lincs, blasted off to pick it up with Willis in the Hippo, luckily it all squeezed in, otherwise he'd of bee driving him self back lol

Heres what it should look like...

But heres what it looks like after we got it tucked up in the Barons wood shop.

Hopefully when its finished it could look like this though!

So allegedly its all there, but a few obvious bits missing are the seat, gear changer and mechanism and the key, which could be a pain as the barrell could well be stuck therefore...

So saturday me and Tbag whipped the GT out to see what was there and what wasnt and give it a good looking over... The Baron spurred into action with a brillo polishing all the chrome up!!!

Fuel tank..

Obvious signs of rot from the past....

The key-less barrell...

Speedo, now thats cool!!

The horn i think

As it came...

Looked this club up online but its just a blog with about 3 posts in 2006...

Should probably start to learn how carbs work now...

Plastic engine cover, doesnt scream 1960s to me!

The phat badge

Gave the engine a good clean up as didnt have much time

Hub/wheels took a smashing at some point!

More rot!

The rest of it is solid though, phew!

So progress so far is i've ordered the older Haynes Manual and a Vespa restoration book from Amazon, can then work out whats there and whats not and make a plan from there!

Cheers.

Goody 2 Puntos Coupe 20VT
    Guildford by way of Haddenham, Wilmslow and Rochdale (etc.)
    My older brother owned a Vespa (is the GT the 150cc one?) when I was still in Grammar School. Heavy as all get out and with quite a vicious clutch, IIRC. Considering its age, not as badly rusted as one might expect. GLWTS, but it'll be a fun project for you I'm sure.

Punto Lover
    thats a jump evo to moped lol but i do like the vespas and lambrettas oldskool fun...it will be good to see where this is going

Quote Originally Posted by GT3guy View Post
    My older brother owned a Vespa (is the GT the 150cc one?) when I was still in Grammar School. Heavy as all get out and with quite a vicious clutch, IIRC. Considering its age, not as badly rusted as one might expect. GLWTS, but it'll be a fun project for you I'm sure.
    This one is a 125, however from initial research it appears the 150 sprint is very similar, ive got some books on order that should reveal all!

Bloke at midland scooter centre was quite adament i wont find spares for it... we'll see!

Punto Enthusiast
    might be able to put you in touch with a chap I went to school with, he writes the scootering magazine and is something quite high up in the midlands scooter club. Haven't spoke since school but he added me on facebook so probably with as he's always been mad on scooters!

Punto Lover
    when's the turbo going on?

Banned
    ive seen a few of these about, every year in poole theres a mods and rockers meet along the quayside just so happened to be there last year at the same time oblivious to what was going on, but they had alot of vespas and lambretas and that there too, they look awesome once restored! sounds like a little fun project! are parts easy to source?

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by silent_thunder89 View Post
    when's the turbo going on?
    He's probably waiting on some overnight parts from japan

Punto know it all

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by CaL View Post
    He's probably waiting on some overnight parts from japan
    more like he's guna throw a ducati lump in it along with 100 shot of nos

dan all im guna say is you must have more time and money than friggin simon cowell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast