Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cylinder Head Stud Problem

Punto know it all

Cylinder Head Stud Problem

To cut a long story short fitted my new turbo (Hybrid VL7) a couple of weeks ago and ran good as gold - eliminated all my smoke issues and went like a banshee. (GT2)

When I changed the turbo I used all new inlet/exhaust gaskets etc.

When trying to loosen the far right hand nut on exhaust manifold (cylinder 4 end) I noticed on removal that something was quite a bit wrong. It didn't seem to be loosening and then it occured why - one of the previous owner (s) had snapped the stud and bodged it up. So I was left with the far right stud absent.

On refitting I wasn't happy with the situation but all other studs etc. were fine and it held well before so went for it.

Then on Monday I think it started blowing from here and has been the same since.

Is it going to be a head off and helicoil job?? Or has anyone any experience with DIY stud extractor sets? Are they as easy as they make out??

I don't mind taking the head off - would just rather not if I could do a simple repair with the head in situ.

Sorry for the dissertation.

jrr
    Last edited by jrracing; 10th June 2010 at 09:01.

Punto Lover
    Seems to be a common problem had the same on a engine i brought even same stud i fitted my old head as i wasnt happy with one stud missing, im goin to send mine away to get it drilled a re-tapped aswell as the head rebuild would advise the same unless someone has a easier solution

Goody 2 Puntos Coupe 20VT
    Guildford by way of Haddenham, Wilmslow and Rochdale (etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrracing View Post
    When trying to loosen the far right hand nut on exhaust manifold (cylinder 4 end) I noticed on removal that something was quite a bit wrong. It didn't seem to be loosening and then it occured why - one of the previous owner (s) had snapped the stud and bodged it up. So I was left with the far right stud absent.
    I'm a little confused by what's actually the problem here. Was half of the stud, with the nut, partially seized in the manifold and half left in the head? How much does the remnant protrude, if so? Again, if so, I'd try removing the remnant myself, first, after trying to ensure it comes out cleanly (e.g. WD40, drilling well inside the threads and then inserting something that will provide a good torsional purchase, if necessary etc.).

Punto know it all
    Basically to tidy this up - the original stud had snapped bang in line with the cylinder head face (therefore nothing of the original is left to grab on to) - when the manifold had been removed in the past - but some clown had essentially put a short bolt in the place of the snapped off stud to make the appearance that all the studs/nuts were present and correct.

I'm not sure how it was being held as it was not screwed into anything - it was covered in gunk so one would presume some high temp glue/sealer.

It has obviously been like that since I took ownership of the car and quite possibly some time before and I had no exhaust leakage issues.

Well, it's up to you if you want to try this but, if you drill into the remnant and then hammer/screw a sacrificial smaller screw/bolt/drill bit into this to provide a purchase, you may well save having to have it drilled (and, perhaps, helicoiled) by someone else.

Punto Lover
    Just buy a Helicoil kit, drill the old stud out and wind in a new thread job done. They are very easy to do.

Punto know it all
    drill a hole dead centre of the stud and use a reverse thread extracter and hey presto out it comes

Punto know it all
    Anyone know how deep I need to drill down into the stud before inserting the extractor - going to have a go at this later today - EEK!

Extract one of the others and check the depth it was in?

Punto know it all
    Yes I have the other studs - but just not sure how far I need to drill in. Obviously I don't want to drill right through it - common sense job I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast