Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: restore update part2

Punto Lover
    got the cage all welded up today just got to get some 14mm hi-tensile steel bolt to go through the wrap around brackets and legs and paint them up anyway pics of 2day

Punto Lover
    matt yes.

Brummy bummer
    Making some quick progress now Matt! The welds look very messy for a professional welder? Mine look better than that and I'm self taught. Hopefully they're strong as strength and aestetics are two difference things but the ones around the cage will be on show.

Is there a mounting plate in the arches for the rear legs of the cage?

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterAuron View Post
    Making some quick progress now Matt! The welds look very messy for a professional welder? Mine look better than that and I'm self taught. Hopefully they're strong as strength and aestetics are two difference things but the ones around the cage will be on show.

Is there a mounting plate in the arches for the rear legs of the cage?
    indeed i have to agree with you on the welding it is a bit messy but he is a friend and charged me naff all for the work although i did help him, i was going to get a welder and give it a go myself but 1 i have no experience in metal welding 2 would be looking at £300 for a half decent welding kit. i have to get a wiggle on as it will never get done else got quite stuck in to it over the past few weeks and with the mrs wanting to move house again i needed to get it preety much all together, as for a mounting plate in the arches there is not for what im going to be using it for it is going to be plenty strong enougth if i feel it needs some more strenghtening at a later date i shall do so but im not going to be the next ken block thats for sure

as for the messy welds its nothing a wire brush in a drill cant handle and a bit of paint

Punto Lover
    well flocking time for the dash, going to get it sent away tuesday to autoflock, finally got round to cutting the dash for the front two legs not that hard a job just as with any job you need the right tools to get a good finish i think iv cut it spot on and fits very snugg pic'ssss

Punto know it all
    its suprising just how much u have to cut away from teh back of the dash to fit it back tough isnt it matt

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by shorty2289 View Post
    its suprising just how much u have to cut away from teh back of the dash to fit it back tough isnt it matt
    frigging nightmare without looking into detail you think you can just get away with a hole saw but once you have made that first hole it unravels alot more cutting behind ie the side heater vents had to be cut,bit off the back of the glove box

wiring it all u should be fun lol think i mite bin the heater matrix and buy some thick jumpers

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by matts.gt1 View Post
    frigging nightmare without looking into detail you think you can just get away with a hole saw but once you have made that first hole it unravels alot more cutting behind ie the side heater vents had to be cut,bit off the back of the glove box

wiring it all u should be fun lol think i mite bin the heater matrix and buy some thick jumpers
    i was considering that but u might as well keek it to demist the windscreen

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678