Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: long drive.

hope you know what your doing going all the way to london to pick a car up that you have never driven

depends on what time ur setting off..
    i've done london to prestatyn in 4 hrs.. so add another half hour on maybe an hour..
    but i'd take the toll road if i was u

Welsh Events Organiser
    Quote Originally Posted by GT3guy View Post
    Can be, but an enjoyable drive across Wales can be had, provide you're prepared for the extra time. Budget 6-6.5 hours for that sort of route, although I seem to remember something like 5.5 hours from Guildford to somewhere in N. Wales (not quite so far) in my Golf GTI 16V. Watch out for the speed cameras, though.
    Which roads did you visit? Theres some crack roads around here.

There are no fixed speed camera's along the A55 so you have keep an eye out for a marked BMW which can literally be at several points of the journey so your usually better off sticking to the speed limit. Traffic can occur getting over the britannia bridge around this time of year due to the holiday makers, other than that its usually a clear run unless of a crash or roadworks.

Welsh Events Organiser
    lol @ crack roads! if that was the case the po po would be too high to notice you

Goody 2 Puntos Coupe 20VT
    Guildford by way of Haddenham, Wilmslow and Rochdale (etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joif View Post
    Which roads did you visit? Theres some crack roads around here.

There are no fixed speed camera's along the A55 so you have keep an eye out for a marked BMW which can literally be at several points of the journey so your usually better off sticking to the speed limit. Traffic can occur getting over the britannia bridge around this time of year due to the holiday makers, other than that its usually a clear run unless of a crash or roadworks.
    TBH, I prefer the A5, but that was for a different destination. Caravans may be out and about, but that's just an opportunity for some boost.

I just looked up where in N. Wales I went that time - Llanberis, Gwynedd. I remember some really enjoyable open, empty roads cutting across from the M6. Dunno if they'd still be the same, as it was quite a few years ago.
    Last edited by GT3guy; 16th April 2010 at 19:35. Reason: Added note on Llanberis trip.

Punto Lover
    the plan is to collect a fiat coupe 20vt on monday but cannot get over because of mother nature and her anger problems! it is now planned for wednesday. is it not just straight up the m1 from london to holyhead??

Quote Originally Posted by punto gt turbo2 View Post
    the plan is to collect a fiat coupe 20vt on monday but cannot get over because of mother nature and her anger problems! it is now planned for wednesday. is it not just straight up the m1 from london to holyhead??
    No mate, M1, M1-M6 link, M6 then you've got choices. Across Wales early on, or before/when you get up to the Chester turnoff, or up the M6 to just south of Manchester and across via the A55, eventually. Check the AA Route Planner tool:

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/i...24900%7C382340

then try ADDing "via" points, for routes across Wales.

Punto Lover
    have checked it and got basic directions but i will probly forget when it comes to the time. have a sat nav which hopefully point me in the right direction. i have no worries with finding my way i just cannot afford to get lost with my ferry at 5 o'clock

OK mate, just wanted to try to add a little pleasant non-motorway driving to the mix. It's entirely your decision how you want to do it, based upon traffic, weather, roadworks (a lot have been started now) etc.

BTW, I hope your SatNav's got TMC capability, as the M6 can be a nightmare.

Punto Lover
    no bother tim, thanks for your help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12