Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiat Punto Race Car

Fiat Punto Race Car

FIAT PUNTO RACE CAR/TRACK CAR

This is a highly specc'd trackday/race car, based on a Mk1 Fiat Punto 75SX. Not the usual stripped out hatch with a bolt-in cage. Almost every aspect of this car has been modified for race use.

It was made for a Fiat championship a few years back and cost about 9k to prepare. Since then it has had one race and then very little use, but a lot of extra time and money thrown at it, inc cosmetic bodywork improvements (inside and out spraywork and welding) and more mods. I think it has done no more than 1000 miles since its road to race conversion.

This car is NOT ROAD LEGAL and comes with no V5 or documentation. It has a lot of MOT friendly features but whilst it would be feasible to get it SVA'd and on a Q-plate, this would be uneconomical to do given the extent of the racing modifications, so assume it is a track car or race car only.

BODY - A five door Punto with welded sunroof, no door locks. A multi point cage has been welded in, with full harness bars. A lot of lightening has gone on, and a lot of spray work. This is a very tidy car compared to most 'track day' cars in this price range. Wheels are 15 inch 5-spokes (Compomotive MOs I think, but they were advertised as Dymags from the guy I bought them off... I doubt they are!) running Yokohama A539 road tyres. Two are near the legal limit. A set of 13 inch Compomotive race wheels and slicks are for sale by separate negotiation.

INTERIOR - Attached to the cage are a 6 point 3 inch OMP harness for the driver and a 4 point 3 inch harness for the passenger. There are two carbon 'winged' race seats, with head protection. One is from the Peugeot touring car of Dan Eaves and has his name stitched into it. The seats alone would have been 600-700 GBP plus. One is a Recaro carbon seat, the other (Dan Eaves one) is a Sparco.
    A battery isolation switch, plumbed in fire extinguisher, custom dash pod, and switch panel are present. The doors are lightened and the driver's door has a winder. The fuel tank is a 20 litre foam filled ali race tank. It comes with a race steering wheel and pedals, and plenty of toggle switches despite its race loom. It has an SPA digital speedo with full functionality. Plus I put a Thatcham Cat 2 immobiliser on it to prevent it getting stolen.

ENGINE - This is a tuned 1242cc engine with modified head, custom manifold and exhaust, custom induction system, custom catch tank, race battery, lightened flywheel and Omex engine management. It runs Omex engine management. I believe it is about 90bhp but can't verify it. It has been recently serviced with new plugs etc and performs strongly although I am not overly happy with the mapping - it can miss under part load and sometimes stalls on a trailing throttle at low revs. It is perfectly driveable but has its quirks. To be honest, it would really suit an engine upgrade, such as a 1.4 Turbo Punto engine (easy conversion apparently) as the chassis is far better than the engine. Engine has push button start. Gearbox has a quickshift gear linkage and race gearknob but is otherwise standard. Sweet change.

SUSPENSION - The handling of this car is astonishing - probably in the top five cars I have driven - and is comparable to a Caterham. I am guessing this is down to the low weight and quite aggressive set up. It makes Ferraris and Porsches I have driven seem a tad stodgy and it is more fun around corners than my old 964RS. I don't say that lightly. Spec wise it is running Avo adjustable shocks with shortened rear springs on modified platforms, powerflex bushes, and is camber adjustable. The cage and front strut mount keep everything from flexing.

BRAKES - Uprated and modified master cylinder, uprated discs and pads, but still small in size and it retains drums at the back. Weighing so little means it doesn't need monster stoppers to add to unsprung weight. They need a firm shove but do the job. It has racing fluid in and a brake bias adjuster (AP racing). Braided hoses abound.

I'm selling because although it handles sublimely, I wanted more power and a bigger fuel tank so purchased a Bora VR6 track car.

GOOD POINTS
    - One of the best handling cars you'll ever drive
    - Over 10-12k spent on it
    - Cage is a work of art
    - Carbon seats
    - Probably worth most of the sticker price in bits
    - Looks good for a Punto!
    - Nicely converted
    - Would suit an engine conversion - with 200bhp it would be mental and a real giant slayer

BAD POINTS
    - Engine map is a bit raw, with the occasional part throttle misfire
    - Revcounter needs to be replaced or repaired... works temperamentally
    - Demon Tweeks laptimer no longer works
    - Fuel tank suits small races only
    - Not road legal despite MOTable features like horn, main beam etc.
    - A five door, not the popular 3 doors, but with the cage it doesn't matter
    - Side windows could do with polycarb replacement (have some decent quotes)
    - No V5 or history, it is a track toy

Priced at 3495 GBP. Any less than that and it might as well be broken.

My details are dom – at – dodojuice – dot – com
    07990 518430

As Dom say's, he is after the asking price however if their is enough interest in the parts separately, then Dom and I may consider breaking it.

If you have any questions please feel free to email/PM me or contact Dom on the details above.

Thanks.
    1997 Fiat Punto GT Abarth - being restored
    2014 Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake

Thats a bloody BARGAIN! Ideal body to drop a GT lump into...

Punto know it all

Re: Fiat Punto Race Car

How much is it?
    I can't see a price on tapatalk.

3495.... bargain!

They are dymags.

I know this because I told him that! They have dymag written on the inside, and I would be a little worried if he hadnt seen that. He bought the car pretty much done, so it hasnt really done much for at least 3 years since I sold him the wheels.

Just for proof....

Punto Gt no more!

if only it had less doors

Quote Originally Posted by tom
    Deans 16VT is producing standard power, on a standard map, with standard fuel pressure and standard boost. So in which case is perfect.

weld them shut like dukes of hazard hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by samsonite View Post

not really what i had in mind

Quote Originally Posted by tom
    Deans 16VT is producing standard power, on a standard map, with standard fuel pressure and standard boost. So in which case is perfect.

Goody 2 Puntos Coupe 20VT
    Guildford by way of Haddenham, Wilmslow and Rochdale (etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsonite View Post
    Presumably the rears will already have been to promote chassis stiffness.

Nope, rear doors do open. The cage is immense so I doubt you'll be able to make it any stiffer
    1997 Fiat Punto GT Abarth - being restored
    2014 Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast