Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: bmw e46 ci sport

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Debo View Post
    I've worked it out. You're mate can't drive for toffee. M3 Evo E36 are ~320hp, rwd, with a 0-60 time in the mid 5's. They're heavy, granted, but they're a bit of an animal tbh, especially at higher speeds.

Anyways......
    Lol, haven't seen him for a while, but the condition of the car backs his poor driving skills up.

Punto Lover
    [QUOTE=Debo;1168485]I've worked it out. You're mate can't drive for toffee. M3 Evo E36 are ~320hp, rwd, with a 0-60 time in the mid 5's. They're heavy, granted, but they're a bit of an animal tbh, especially at higher speeds.

Anyways...... [/QUO
    they weight 3 times more than the punto's and i made a mistake sorry guys, its just the m3 bmw, but we both hit the daul carrige way and he started to fly past me around 85-90mph. To be totally honnest, my mate reocred the race on his phone, so can always upload it

3 times as much??

Are you sure??

They weigh between 1500-1800kg's depending on year and model (the early ones, the 2.0ltrs were about 1200kg). If you think they are any heavier, then you're a muppet. A Rolls-Royce only weighs 2.5tonne. So to say an M3 is 3tonne is a bit silly.. now come on.... buck up

Punto Lover
    3 times as much??

Are you sure??

They weigh between 1500-1800kg's depending on year and model (the early ones, the 2.0ltrs were about 1200kg). If you think they are any heavier, then you're a muppet. A Rolls-Royce only weighs 2.5tonne. So to say an M3 is 3tonne is a bit silly.. now come on.... buck up
    lol im only Exaggerating here, obviously not 3 times, but does not really matter. All i know is that my GT killed the bmw till 85-90mph. Then he shot past me

I think you're still exaggerating.

He must have completely messed his start up. Punto GT's just don't "stop" at 85/90mph, nor do M3's suddenly hit their stride at that point for him to have shot past you.. You got a great start, he flunked his, then just caught and passed you with ease.

Punto know it all
    He must have completely messed his start up. Punto GT's just don't "stop" at 85/90mph, nor do M3's suddenly hit their stride at that point for him to have shot past you.. You got a great start, he flunked his, then just caught and passed you with ease.

Not necessarily - you weren't there were you.

To be fair the Punto's are geared for acceleration, the M3 is geared for 155 mph+. It can go through the same speed in one gear, when in the Punto you would need 3rd, 4th and 5th - gear changes are half a second a peice for a competent driver so work that out for starters.

Take the power to weight, gear ratios, torque band and the fact that the BMW needs a lot of Revs to pull hard, being a highly tuned n/a engine - especially if it has VANOS.

The Punto probably makes more useable torque than an M3 - we are talking at full torque at just over 3K rpm (as you well know) on the stock turbo and then linear power at the top.

Having driven an E36 M3 (it was a potential choice for me at one point) - you need to work that engine HARD.

But it's a beaut when it gets into its stride.

The facts in this thread would not surprise me so I'd back up and get a bit more of a grip yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by jrracing View Post
    Not necessarily - you weren't there were you.

To be fair the Punto's are geared for acceleration, the M3 is geared for 155 mph+. It can go through the same speed in one gear, when in the Punto you would need 3rd, 4th and 5th - gear changes are half a second a peice for a competent driver so work that out for starters.

Take the power to weight, gear ratios, torque band and the fact that the BMW needs a lot of Revs to pull hard, being a highly tuned n/a engine - especially if it has VANOS.

The Punto probably makes more useable torque than an M3 - we are talking at full torque at just over 3K rpm (as you well know) on the stock turbo and then linear power at the top.

Having driven an E36 M3 (it was a potential choice for me at one point) - you need to work that engine HARD.

But it's a beaut when it gets into its stride.

The facts in this thread would not surprise me so I'd back up and get a bit more of a grip yourself.
    What a load of nonsense.

M3 0 - 60 is around 5.5 seconds, with a 14 second 1/4 mile.

A 170bhp GTs 0-60 is about 6.6 seconds.

Enough said. A 1.4 GT wont touch any M3, unless the M3 is broken or the driver is rubbish.
    Punto Gt no more!

Punto Lover
    Welllll, since no one believed me that I beat my mate. There are a few ways around this,

1. I can just try and get hold of the video of my friend which will make every one who don't believe me gob smaked.
    2. Ask him yourself
    3.He had a full car, whilst I had only a passenger with nothing in the back what so ever.

Like said if you don't want to believe me that's your choise not mine. But I can honnesly put my hand up and tell the truth with my life on it, that the m3 could not keep up with the punto untill 85-90mph, by that time I had eased up on the gt as I pounded it hard to make sure I didn't lose the accleratiion. Since one of you only lives in canterbury, who drives the alfa and the gt, pop down and ask him your self. I have nothing to hide. If I grab that video it will prove it all.
    Thanks

I can't believe some clown is quoting gearing to me.

As if you actually said the Punto is geared for accelleration!!! Is it f**k. You hit 5th gear over 100mph and then it really does hit a wall. It's vastly overgeared. It doesn't have enough torque to pull the tall top gear. The gearing on it is all wrong. It's not geared for 60.. as you need 3 gear changes.. not really geared for 100 either, hence 22second 0-100 time. This is why I disbelieve half the bulls**t that gets spouted on here, and frequently pull these "kids" up on it.

Sorry, Tom is right, and so am I.

I agree that I wasn't there, but my guess is fairly educated and probably an accurate reflection of what actually happened; M3 flunks start, GT gets a flyer, M3 catches and passes. There's no shame in that. One car cost £12k new, the other £40k.

Ahh, and so, the facts now start to surface.

It's gone from a straight "I beat an M3 to 85/90" to "I beat an M3 with a car full and a load of dead weight in the boot to 85/90".

So, if 4 people my size were in the car, that puts it nearer 2 tonnes, to your 1200kg It's no wonder you beat him!!

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast