Thread: very smokey 2001 zafira

very smokey 2001 zafira

my other cars a vauxhall. lol

i got a zafira cheap from the inlaws christmas time due to the waterpump falling apart and in turn bent 8 inlet valves.

had 8 new valve guides and valves professionally fitted ,they were only just bent as luckily it went when it was started not on the m-way.

i ground the valves and fitted new seals new h,gasket, bolts etc etc.
    having been in the motor trade 20 years or so i am quite confident all was done satisfactory.

over the last few weeks the oil consumption has been incredible. 1 litre / 150 miles so i changed the oil to a better brand the correct weight and from the instant it is started it smokes worse, if i let it idle it will smoke a little but if i revv it,the whole yard and workshop dissapears,
    i took the plugs out and can see a hefty amount of fresh oil over all 4 pistons

i have done a leakdown test and all are excellent. 3 are below 3% and no1 is around 9%

there is no smoke and only a little air coming from the breathers when running and i have cleaned them all out.

it has a multilayer metal h,gasket which i personally dont like much rather the normal fabric type.

any ideas would be appreciated thanks

as to where the oil is coming from?. i suspect the heads coming off tomorrow to check my work

Cracked cylinder head?

Punto know it all
    Sounds like it could be, when the head came off was it pressure tested and skimmed, it sounds like a similar issue to what the XE engines have "porous head" with oil/water mixing.

The EML on?

When was the CTS last changed?

head wasnt tested as it broke the valves so i didnt think the head would be warped.
    why didnt it smoke before then? i know these ecotec lumps are a problem, but stuck with it now, no em light on all running fine apart from a bit jerky which i put down to either frst lambda or egr valve so blanked egr and disconnected the lambda to try and runs fine. just all this damn smoke.

if i leave it idle it will smoke a tiny bit, but assume the oil is building up as when i revv it then , plummes of thick somke come out. and as i mentioned when i take the plugs out the pistons are covered by a layer of fresh oil.
    in a way im hoping i fitted the h/g wrong but why is oil getting in all 4???????????????
    this is gonna reck me im sure

o.k

the oil control rings were stuck solid to the piston on all 4 cylinders
    and they all seemed out of the manufacturers tolerances

apparently if you are using a little oil and you do the head you may increase the compression due to better valves , skim and hence why it burns more oil making you think you messed the head up.

fingers crossed the rings solves it or ill get a divorce lol