Thread: The evil i-Tunes

The evil i-Tunes

Last night, for the first time, I downloaded a recording from the i-Tunes Store.

(Actually Strange Journey Volume 2 by the fantastically talented hip-hop crew the Cunninlynguists) Highly recommended, as are all their records. And well worth 8 quid of anyone's money.

I'm a big believer in buying the actual CD, not a (much) lesser digital product for not-much-cheaper, and this didn't change my view.

So after I've updated by version of i-Tunes (zzzzz!), set up an account (zzzzz!)and downloaded the record (zzzzz!), I finally get the finished product.

"Would you like to back-up?" says the software.

Oh yes, I thought , and bunged a blank CD in. But of course, it only copies it into its own stupid file type, .aac or whatever.

So it plays fine on my PC. But not on my hi-fi. Nor presumably, in my car (if I could get the damn radio out and the CD player fitted anyway, but that's another story).

Now I'm sure there is a fix for this, and you young people can put me right on what it is. But it annoys me that it's even necessary: I could buy a CD and copy it as many times as i like for use in the car, hi-fi, etc. Anyway, I've found a source of CDs, so will be ordering one shortly.

Anyway, any guidance welcome. I daresay there's software somewhere that will convert it to WMA or mp3 or some other more user-friendly format.

Punto Gt no more!

Punto know it all
    i wouldnt touch i tunes again with a barge pole, it's my very own marmite.

**** apple, **** i tunes and no i dont want a bloody i phone.

windows media player all the way for me. there are many NORMAL websites that you can buy tunes from that arent apple.

Thumbs up

Thanks, Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by rixf666 View Post
    i wouldnt touch i tunes again with a barge pole, it's my very own marmite.

windows media player all the way for me. there are many NORMAL websites that you can buy tunes from that arent apple.
    Yeah, I agree. It was my bad, I mistakenly thought I couldn't download it from Amazon, and i-Tunes was the only option. I now find that isn't so, and I could have got it from Amazon. Still, I'll buy the CD anyway.

I really fail to see the point. At the end of the day, I want a CD. And I can't help thinking that a CD straight from the factory is going to be better quality than some blank CD I burnt on my home computer. Not to mention that when you buy the CD, you get lyric sheet, artwork...

Quote Originally Posted by rixf666 View Post

Here here !!!

And I was under the impression, that stuff from Itunes was DRM protected - But that link that Tom posted seems to suggest it is possible to copy songs.

I just did. It's a slight faff cos you have to create a playlist first, and then burn that.

Anyway, I now have a CD that plays on my hi-fi (and, presumably, in my car, when i get the damned CD player fitted!).

I ended up buying the "proper" CD anyway fom the US. I only got the i-tunes version cos I was impatient.

Sample track here, if anyone's interested:

http://qn5.com/music/song/to-be-for-real/