Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: couple of vids from coombe today

Should be careful with 5.1 brake fluid! Can damage your master cylinder. That's racing fluid. Even the Teg doesn't use that, I'm on 4 and don't suffer brake fade at all on the track (and I'll be travelling alot faster than you).

Not looked at the vids, will do later, but I wouldn't advise that fluid - it's makeup is totally different than road car stuff.

Welsh Events Organiser
    As far as i know 5.1 is perfectly safe as its non silicone based as opposed to dot 5 which is, and is apparently totally compatible and can be mixed with dot4 with no problems. And that was the second outing and almost a year since the last brake fluid change as i didnt need to touch the brakes after my last track session

and how fast you're going into a corner doesnt neccesarily mean that you should suffer from brake fade more than i would, i have smaller wheels and brakes, and if my brakes are less effective/efficient, as they are, then there is more force needed to slow the car down, so the brake fluid will try to compress more, meaning it will get hotter etc etc. if i had brembos or possibly a better disc/pad combination then i probably wouldn't suffer with the brake fluid as much
    Last edited by PuntoGt031087; 19th June 2009 at 16:32.

Then you're alright if it's not silicone based. What you're saying there is, it's no better than DOT4.

Just for reference, my wheels are 15", brakes are 280mm, standard Honda calipers - stopping 1200kg's with me in the car.

Welsh Events Organiser
    perfectly safe to combine but not ideal, if it is combined then it is no better than the dot4 that is in the system, as the dot4 will still boil at the same temp. if system is flushed and refilled with dot5.1 only, then it will be affective and have a higher boiling point over dot4 and should reduce the extended pedal travel.

And my point was with a less effective braking system, the pads will require more pressure against the disc, leading to higher temps. obviously the brakes are adequate enough on your Teg, but are proving insufficient on mine for repeated heavy, late braking.

Punto know it all
    At least the boost pipe didnt come off this time hey Dan

We seemed to have more action and pace last time around.

Welsh Events Organiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie Punto View Post
    At least the boost pipe didnt come off this time hey Dan

We seemed to have more action and pace last time around.
    yeah, got through the whole day with no hiccups lol

what you mean by more action and pace? me, or other cars? i didnt abuse my car or rev it anywhere near as high as i did last time, was worried incase it got as hot as it did last time, im sure you remember

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by PuntoGt031087 View Post
    i didnt abuse my car or rev it anywhere near as high as i did last time, was worried incase it got as hot as it did last time, im sure you remember

Ah that would explain it

Welsh Events Organiser
    that and the fact i stayed in 3rd most corners and let the boost build up, trying to save ruining my brand new tyres. lap times were just as quick though iirc

They'd have been even quicker if you weren't lifting off mid corner and in the right gear!

Welsh Events Organiser
    Lifting off in corners maybe -having a dumpvalve that goes off at the slightest change in throttle doesn't help matters, and not everybody is a born racing driver are they?

But as for the right gear? In case you forget a gt on a standard turbo doesn't pull well all the way to the limiter, and for accelerating out of a corner, i would rather use 3rd than rev the bollocks out of my car and spin the inside wheel in 2nd. I've tried that before at that circuit and i know which i prefer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast