Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hola

Hola

hi

New member to this site although I'm on Fiat Forum too. got a 1999 MK1 Team 60 S for £400 2 months ago with full MOT and 6 months tax.

Have plans to mod a little but first I need to straighten out a few things like fit a new exhaust, replace the rocker gasket and sort out why it fails to start without QuickStart on a cold day. RAC said it wasn't giving enough choke when it's too cold. If anyone's got any ideas on this they'll be greatly recieved.

SB

Punto know it all
    choke? aren't these engines all injected?

Yeah he did give me the history of when cars had the choke 'button' on the dash to how they now have no need for that but he was referring to the need for extra fuel to start the engine on cold starts which is controlled by the sensor (which I assume is the MAP senor) in the injector/SP1.

Correct me if I've got this wrong though, please.

Welsh Events Organiser
    Hiya mate, another local punto owner

Sounds like it could be the coolant temp sensor as i'm sure its that that controls the cold start.

Try searching the mk1 8v section and see if you can find any info

Thanks for the pointer mate. Think I've been heading down the wrong path but I've now found some good threads and I think you're right. Either that or the air intake sensor from what I can see now.

Does anyone know how much these sensors cost to repace if I need to and where to get them aside from scrappies. When I google them I don't find any for sale.

Welsh Events Organiser
    Best bet is ebay or a wanted ad mate, fiat would want you to remortgage for brand new items

Could also try the website shop4parts or buypartsbuy, both sell fiat parts, although shop4parts is your best bet

In case anyone cares for an update, I took the car to Alpha Yapps who sorted out my problem and you're probably going to think so simple. They said one of the spark plugs was cross threaded and hardly in and two leads were swapped over and charged me £78 for the pleasure. I hadn't checked this as the RAC chap said all was ok with the plugs and leads!
    I might give them a call about this but I don't know if it'll do much good but my next two things to sort are an oil leak in the sump and the rocker gasket both which I shall certainly attempt myself.

Wish me luck.

Welsh Events Organiser
    glad you got it soted mate, always seems to be the daftest of things. cam cover gasket is easy to do, sump is a messy job but still easy enough

alpha yapps arent the cheapest, i only use them for parts when i need to, only a 5 minute walk from my place so its always handy

Punto Lover
    alpha yapps arent the cheapest, i only use them for parts when i need to
    i found that out last week but they are quick at getting parts in compared to the last fiat garage i used.

Welsh Events Organiser
    bit of a trek from blackwood aint it? isn't there a closer Fiat dealer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast