Thread: Am I being fobbed off?

Punto Enthusiast

Am I being fobbed off?

The guy who built my Dad's PC just gave it back after we gave it in to fix a loud fan noise that occured on startup.

It turned out to be the fan on the power supply, which he replaced under warranty.

He had to remove a couple of drivers to fix another unrelated software problem, so I was re-installing them last night when, suddenly, there was a burning smell and the PC shut down. I left it for a while and restarted it with the side off after a quick check to see if there was any major damage. The HD wasn't being accessed, and the monitor wasn't switching from standby mode.

We gave it back to him today for him to have a look at. He got back to me and told me that the graphics card has died, an NVidia GeForce 5700. He says that it bust because over time the dodgy power supply would have damaged it, and now that there is a new one fitted it has finally failed.

It is now 3 weeks since the warranty ran out, and they say that I have to replace the card.

Is this right, or am I being bent over the table and rammed up the arse?

Cheers.
    AC.

Photoshoppin' Post Whore
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyC/GT
    The guy who built my Dad's PC just gave it back after we gave it in to fix a loud fan noise that occured on startup.

It turned out to be the fan on the power supply, which he replaced under warranty.

He had to remove a couple of drivers to fix another unrelated software problem, so I was re-installing them last night when, suddenly, there was a burning smell and the PC shut down. I left it for a while and restarted it with the side off after a quick check to see if there was any major damage. The HD wasn't being accessed, and the monitor wasn't switching from standby mode.

We gave it back to him today for him to have a look at. He got back to me and told me that the graphics card has died, an NVidia GeForce 5700. He says that it bust because over time the dodgy power supply would have damaged it, and now that there is a new one fitted it has finally failed.

It is now 3 weeks since the warranty ran out, and they say that I have to replace the card.

Is this right, or am I being bent over the table and rammed up the arse?

Cheers.
    AC.
    no because the damaged was done to the card in warranty..... by the faulty part that was @ fault...... i work for a computer "superstore" we would change the part @ no cost. hope that helps.

Punto Enthusiast
    Cheers.

I'll see if that helps.