Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got me a 20vt Coupe. Advice needed.

Punto Lover

Got me a 20vt Coupe. Advice needed.

Well as some of you may know, i was on the look out for a car, and decided to to go back to Italian. So yesterday i bought myself a Fiat Coupe 20vt Turbo with a Full and extensive service history. Its lowered 40ml on Apex Springs, comes with 17" Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2s on Toyo tyres plus the standard Coupe wheels. Has upgraded Mintex drilled and grooved discs and pads all round. Is also fitted with a manual boost controller and boost gauge and is running 9psi so im told. A baileys dumpvalve, a Carbon Fibre air intake and a Blue Flame cat back s/s exhaust.

Now today i discovered a small, what appears to be an oil leak just beside the passenger wheel. Any ideas what it could be? Theres also a squeal from the timing belt/pulley area upon start up when its cold-however theres a reciept there for a Cambelt change. Any ideas what it could be? Also if anyone knows and reasonable, and reputable Fiat Specalist around the South Lanarkshire disctrict. Thanks

you on fccuk?

i cant think of any thing over the passenger side, gearbox oil?

the squeel will most likely be the alt belt tensioner, probably best replace it before running it any more if its loud, cos if the belt jumps off very usually it goes and jumps into the cambelt.

and 9psi seems very low boost, they run more like 14-15psi standard, hope its not hiding a slipping clutch!

Punto Lover
    Really? As for the belts its quite loud once first started yes then quietens down. Gearbox and clutch seem spot on *touch wood*. So im not sure.

Punto Lover
    P.S Maybe i got the psi wrong then?

Quote Originally Posted by Mawv View Post
    Really? As for the belts its quite loud once first started yes then quietens down. Gearbox and clutch seem spot on *touch wood*. So im not sure.
    do you not know where oil actually coming from? cos its a bit hard to just guess tbh.

well most 20vt even with new belts/tensioners still squeel (mine does)

but there is obviously a limit, and seeing as you say yours goes quieter once warm i would say it is the tensioner needing replacing on the smaller belt (1st drive belt)

when was the cambelt done and where?

Check the auxillary belt first of all. If it is lose or needs replacing it's not that hard a job to do on the ground.

Thinking about it the fluid leak might be coming from somewhere near there. It could be coming from somewhere else and running along the under tray and dripping beside that wheel.

Punto Lover
    Theres a reciept for the belt there, however dosent specify when. Previous owner said around 14k miles ago, and the car is on 57k. The leak is around that area, quite a light colour aswell. Smells like oil tho, however not a rich smell. The oil cooler has also been replaced at some point aswell.

if you dont know exactly when belts/tensioners were done just get them all done.

a light coloured oil could well be gearbox oil, how much does it leak?

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    if you dont know exactly when belts/tensioners were done just get them all done.

a light coloured oil could well be gearbox oil, how much does it leak?
    Just a few small drips, and it dosent smell like cat piss which im told is usually gearbox oil, hardly any smell at all actually.

Maybe coolant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast