Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My rebuild

Thats bad!

Punto know it all
    Well you do pay for leaving things to the last minute

Weekend two...

Well another half arsed weekend tbh, spent more time drinking tea making a mess then actually bolting stuff on and bolting it in the car but my excuse is the cold lol.

Some piccies for you

First thing we did was bolt in this badboy, choosing the correct fitting so the outlet pointed the right way.

Then after Ben had got the righ shims and putting them in i did this, can you see it?

Oops! 'somehow' the shaft dragged the tool into the box, dont know how it chipped the cam lobe but the tool itself snapped :s Need to find out for sure if its going to be ok or need replacing...

The FIRST time the flywheel was bolted on... things are very tight, luckily those bolts are just kissing the sump gasket and nothing solid

t'other side

So far

Paddle plate + uprated cover

t'other side of engine

Clutch on, didnt stay on though

Didnt stay shiney either

We had then had a brew of sainsburys95 with two teaspoons of copper grease!

Ben tidied up some bits

Then got to here before disaster struck

Right on cue...

This is because the threaded holes in the flywheel are plenty less shallow then the ones in the stock fly, the bolts ground out and as i nicked them up this one snapped, i gently took the others out, all showing signs of stretch and before been tightened So if the stock bolts were inadequte it would of been nice to know before hand!

I grovelled to my friend George to open up shop on sunday to sort it, luckily he agreed!

So in the mean time decided to crack on with the rest of it.

Making some pre-emptive strikes by bolting the downpipe to the elbow, elbow to the turbo and turbo to manifold, all needing pursuession in some form or another so touch wood the turbo doesnt ever need to come off!

Due to the welds on the manifold a few washers needed edges trimming off them to bridge the gaps.

Instantly the next problem! When the manifold sits flush to the head (well it cant) its fowled by the water pump pipe, so you can see here where its been brutally manipulated with a hammer!

So you can see here the exhaust manifold on, and after doing a few trial runs we had deduced that the two studs you can see had to be on to start, the other two had to be put on after the inlet was in place. Can also see where ive lopped a chunk off the actuator bracket.

Inlet on, no dramas thank god.

All on, had to buy some special bolts to fit it and abit of initiative! Aswell as another set of allen keys...

cant even see that one!

Wish i could weld, as id have a good go at making a better fitting manifold, pain in the centre of your arse doesnt even get close lol

fresh start sunday afternoon lol.

Fly and clutch back on, and safe. Used torque bolts this time with an extra washer to stop them bottoming out, 25NM according to Mawb's Dad, cheers Graham!

Lots of pulleys n stuff

I really like this photo so i included it too lol,, just looks well put together?!?!

Belting up

All alright, touch wood!

gearbox on et all

All ready to go in

We then called it a weekend, been up on it late saturday morning, then watched F1 live, then fannying about sunday morning and had no 'real' time to put it in. Best left till the next weekend, hopefully be warmer too!!!

Then drove Ben back to Crewe in the Super Grape, wasnt fun at all, the raggy roof letting a breeze in, was freezing cold and the heaters dont get luke warm nevermind hot lol, got home at 4:30am

Punto Sports Club Member

Then drove Ben back to Crewe in the Super Grape, wasnt fun at all, the raggy roof letting a breeze in, was freezing cold and the heaters dont get luke warm nevermind hot lol, got home at 4:30am

try driving it for 6months solid as your only car, then you will know the pain i went through.

Midland Events Organiser
    Quote Originally Posted by PuntoStar
    Well you do pay for leaving things to the last minute
    Would of been the same price no matter when i ordered them tho mate.

Looks good guys

Punto Sports Club Member xploitGT's Avatar
    Looking good guys.
    XploitGT

Punto Lover
    make sure you get ALL those bits that chipped of the lobe. even just 1 little bit could destroy the engine. check for them then check again.

Midland Events Organiser
    spoke to piper, as you say gerard they just said clean all the bits up and make sure its spotless, make sure there are no burs(sp) and it should be fine.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast