Thread: Angry rant (electrical failure)

LukeyGT

Angry rant (electrical failure)

Had a total electrical failure last nite, Story is the first day i got it one of the ignition wires fried itself and went up in a puff of smoke. So instead of getting ass raped on a new dash and engine loom the garage bypassed the immobiliser with a switch hidden under the dash, and that is the wire thats thats ****ed up. i was thinking that it was the end of the car and i was considering taking the largest object i could find on it. But my mate rescued me and found the wire hanging about doing nothing. So in theory all i have to do it find where it dropped off from and reconnect it. But to add a little twist to the supposibly easy job, the end of the wire has melted (where it used to connect to something) so if thats the alternator wire that means i have got to send the alternator off to get re-furbed so to speak. And to get the alternator off you have to drop the subframe off! So looks like a big bill, or ill just take it back to the garage whpo put the wire in and say "fix it you ****ing *****"

You guys recon the garage is liable for this or is it "my own fault" and ill have to shell out yet again?

Rant over

Punto know it all
    i reckon if you take it back they should be able to fix it up at least how it was working before easy enough.

whats the alternator got to do with a broken wire under the dash?
    and why would you have to take the sub frame off to get the alternator off?

LukeyGT
    Im going on what they said pal, And this wire of doom apparently goes to the battery, starter, alternator and then into the dash. The wire was pulled out from behind the engine so im guessing it was goin to the alternator?

I really havnt got a clue to be honest im just going on what the garage have told me

Punto Lover
    Well if its melted then the garage dont really seem to know what they are doing by the sound of it if they have fitted a wire that is too small for the current that passes through it.

There is a reason why the battery cables are huge and an led lead is so tiny.

If I was you i'd trace where that wire goes to first so you know what it controls/switches/powers, then find out where it came from and make sure the melting wasnt down to a short circuit at the switch

Once you know these things you can then go about replacing the cable with the right size wire and connecting it back up to where it should go

However, if you know what you are doing electrically, you could try and fix the original problem properly and not have to make do with a bodge lol

EDIT:
    just re read, Find out what is wrong and take it back to the garage BEFORE doing anything, as it was thier own work that has gone wrong and it nothing to do with you.
    If they do then tell you to f**k off, it shouldnt be too hard of a job to do, just an inconvenience
    Last edited by marky_sr; 12th January 2008 at 19:50.

LukeyGT
    i know where the wire goes, its something to do with the immobiliser as it melted before after rubbing on the engine and shorting out. the wire was replaced and went from the alternator to the battery i think. Its melted at the alternator end so they garage are sending the alternator back to them to be redone, ill tell them to put a bigger wire in this time to cope with it.

Only other option is full loom which i cant afford

Punto know it all
    a full loom ur look at about £25 for each part i.e dash enigine and ignition it will probably be a fault in one of the last 2

LukeyGT
    i need engine and dash loom thought so could be expensive. And i dont know anyonewho has one.