Thread: help choosing new desktop

Question help choosing new desktop

well i think i need some help from any 1 who knows there pc.firstly buying new desktop in new year and been looking at dualcore systems mainly amd 64x2 with 2gig mem,about 200gig harddrive.i will only use it for general day to day tasks but my son wants to start gaming with his mates on pc so need somthing that will cope with this and play latest pc games without any lag.while searching about iv'e came across systems with quadcore and would like to know if anyone has such system in use and is worth the investment?or am i running before i can walk,bearing in mine the system i have now is only 2yr old dell with up graded graphicscard and 1gig mem,2.2processer.
    thanks in advance for any advise

Fred Elliot, i say Fred Elliot! Mawbster's Avatar
    to get the full benifits of quad core in gamming you would need to spend illustrious amounts of money on other components too.

i have

pentium d dual core 3.4ghz
    4gb ram
    2 x200gb hdd
    sapphire radion x1600 pro

and that is plentiful and can run anything i can throw at it up to now.,

your lag will mainly come with your internet connection and not so much the computer you are running it with.

Punto Lover
    Not entirely true that. Lag in games online comes from your connection yes, the PC speed only determines how pretty you can make the game look.

Tbh theres no need for a quad core system right now... dual core will be MORE than good enough for day to day use and gaming and barely any games support quad core processors yet anyway. Don't go any lower than 1.5ghz, obviously the higher the better though. I run a 2.2ghz dual core in the laptop and havent really hit any problems running stuff except for the first 30s or so after booting up.

RAM don't go any lower than 1gb, again the more the better. I have 2gb on this laptop and its very happy doing anything I throw at it.

Obviously harddrive-wise only you know how much you will need, however on my old comp I only had 80gb and that did me fine, 160gb on here now which is more than enough for me and I'm a pretty heavy downloader of movies, TV etc.

Sadly graphics cards you can't really just compare numbers like with the other specs. There are two manufacturers Nvidia and ATI and they both have their own ranges, the higher the number the better but that doesn't apply between the two manufacturers - an ATI 9700 is NOT better than an Nvidia 7900, for example. THis is one area you need to do some real research; however, the only thing the graphics card affects is how pretty you can have the game settings set to.

I've been looking at this desktop (HP Pavilion PC)
    you get a lot for youre money here-

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...roductID=27602