Thread: Help Help Help My Punto Is Poorly

Punto Enthusiast

Unhappy Help Help Help My Punto Is Poorly

I bought a 2004 16v sport last night of a private trader. It is a cat de write off but i've done some checks on it and its all been repaired to a very high standard and there is proof of this... I paid 3,800 for it. its very very nice, canary yellow, sport wing mirrors with indicator lights, sport wipers, two tone yellow and black leather interior, speakers in back, its proper been vamped up BUT i collected in last night, test drove it, noticed some discrepancies that the seller said he would sort later..

I drove it to work this morning and its got all the poorly symptoms of the head gaskett going. temperature gaige is on high/red, there is no heat blowing, and the noise coming from the dash is un real,, bubbling, banging and clicking.. i spoke to fiat picadilly and they said that this sounds like the head gaskett has gone... i'm gutted and cried like a real girl!

so,,, head gaskett needs doing, stems need inserting so i can adjust the wing mirrors, indicator light on one of wing mirrors isn't working (could be just bulb or may be electrics), i can't hear the music as the speakers are only in the parcel shelv so i will need these connecting to front. head lamb blew last night.. what else... mmmh nowt at this moment in time but i can see somert else popping up.

can some one advise me on what to do? prices? would going to fiat be best or getting my newly qualified 21 year old mechanic who trained with fiat to fix the lot..?

i'm at my wits end. bought my dream yellow spot punto and look whats happened. i'm devastated..

Southern Events Organiser
    ok, head gasket isnt to difficult if you know what your doing! it doesnt need taking to fiat any decent garage should be able to sort it out for you! it does sound like head gasket, as forthe electrics, could be a few simple bits like bulbs. check all teh fuses first!

sounds like you bought bit of a bum motor!

Lifeless Geek - need to get out more!
    Firstly, perhaps move this to the correct section. This section is for Website comments and questions

Secondly, take it back and get money back. Or ask him to fix it. I wouldnt have bought a car that had problems and the current owner said "he would fix".

Price wise, on my MK1, HG was £800

Southern Events Organiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat

Price wise, on my MK1, HG was £800
    its the labour thats the killer, the actual gasket its self is mere pennies!

PSC Pisshead
    oouch take it back if you can ! that alot of money to pay for a car thats lasts one day ....

£800 is alot of money i rebuilt my gt lump for that !

Quote Originally Posted by P HUGE
    its the labour thats the killer, the actual gasket its self is mere pennies!
    Yeah absolutely, was just giving her a rough idea of garage prices.

Punto know it all
    800 for a headgasket is a total joke, you can get it for 300!

Quote Originally Posted by CaL
    800 for a headgasket is a total joke, you can get it for 300!
    Most prob yes up north, but i did a few garages and it was all 600-800.

Punto Enthusiast
    [QUOTE=Cat]Firstly, perhaps move this to the correct section. This section is for Website comments and questions

Sorry about placing this in the wrong area, didn't realise it was such an issue !!! I'm a newbie and only just joined and couldn't find the correct forum for this.

Its impossible to take back, I bought it off a decent guy off ebay, won the bid at this price. I drove 150 miles down to luton last night to pick it up. I spoke to the seller and he was gutted this has happened. He said 'he would go away and think about sorting it' but i can't hang around as its parked outside my work very poorly.

PLUS i go away on hols tomorrow, need it fixing for when i get back..

if spent about 1k fixing it would the total cost of 4,800 - 5,000 be over priced for this 1.2 16v sport? with the leather interior... ???

i'm only hours away from taking it to fiat so need lots of assistance please??!!
    they said the hg would be about 450 but i've got these other bits to sort.

from a very unhappy punto girl.

Punto Lover
    450 quid from fiat is cheap i reakon i 4t they would charge silly amount, my local garage said if my head went they would charge 220 so i never had to worry about this one lol