Thread: Insurance on lowering and alloys....opinions wanted

Punto know it all

Insurance on lowering and alloys....opinions wanted

right, I currently driver a 5 door 75sx which i am keeping.

It is modified a little, lowered 50mm and alloys, with standard skirts (gt) and colour coding. Im now 19 and have 1 years ncb and 1 year (nearly 2) driving experience.

So far with alloys and lowering declared the lowest i can find is £900 tpff, but have been quoted £450-500 with just alloys declared.

I dont want to have a crash and be told that my insurance company wont be paid out and that the police want to take further action as i was technically driving without insurance. From others on this forum and other forums its clear that people do not declare mods to save money, e.g. splitter/bumpers and engine mods.

£400 is a lot to pay extra each year on car insurance and i would much rather pay less. If for example i did not declare all mods (lowering) and had a crash, could the insurance company null my insurance, or are they more likely not to bother to inspect the car, and/or not be fussed about alterations. please note i do not in any terms want to be driving illegally.

thanks and your opinions wanted

adam

PSC sex offender no.1
    My advice would be to declare any and all mods. Just to be on the safe side more than anything.
    Despite what people might tell you...you have no garuantee that the insurers won't check your car after a smash. Remember that insurance companies will do ANYTHING to get out of paying out...so if they can find the slightest reason to null your cover they will.
    Personally I'd rather pay £400 extra for the insurance rather than take the risk of having to pay the consequences.
    Sorry if that sounds a bit dramatised...but I find it is always better to err on the side of caution.

Punto know it all
    im now thinking of getting rid of the 50mm drop and going back to standard...will not look as nice though!

find a company which doesnt mind mods then, liverpool victoria apparently doesnt mind lowering and alloys.

adrian flux are fine with most mods, mine hardly went up at all when i added mods on my gt

Quote Originally Posted by tom
    Deans 16VT is producing standard power, on a standard map, with standard fuel pressure and standard boost. So in which case is perfect.

Punto know it all
    having real problems getting cheaper quotes then £900tpff, so will have to return suspension back to standard

Di Cara
    I had loads of mods that i decleared on my punto, mine was something like 840, that with elephant. Im 19 with 1 years no claims btw.

paul_ando
    Find a company, which only increases the premium for performance modifications e.g filters, exhaust etc etc. Where lowering & wheels are classed as cosmetic!