Thread: PC audio help required please

Punto know it all

PC audio help required please

Hey guys, i'm having a little trouble any help would be appreciated.
    I have recorded a six and a half hour long mix directly onto my PC from a small house party i had last weekend. I used Wavelab to record it with as mp3 format. However Wavelab will not open it as it is too large a file to decode 4.9 GIG!!. i have just bought an external hard drive to transfer it over to another PC but i still need to find a program that will let me open it to chop it down into smaller sections.
    I thought it might work with cubase but cubase needs it to be a .wav file and i have tried 3 different converters which say they are converting (takes well over an hour each time) but the new file shows the size as 380mb and does not play at all.

can anyone reccomend a good free converter program or preferably an audio editing program that is capable of handling a 4.9 gig audio file.

soche
    i havent tried it yet but what about Soundforge, Im sure you can find a free copy somewhere on the web. Think you might struggle inserting 5GB into the programme tho mate

Punto know it all
    thanks i'll give it a go, real pain in the arse 5 gig on one track, if only i had cut it when i was recording it.
    Probably just end up recording it in real time audio onto minidisc to save the hassle.

Withnail
    4.9gb? Are you sure its not a wav file?

Cubase would be a bit fiddly to be honest mate. If it is indeed a wav and not an mp3 (I highly suspect this is the case unless you were DJing for a couple of days straight) you need to convert it to an MP3 - plenty of progs will do that for you.

Punto know it all
    definately a mp3 file @128kbps, was mixing for 6 and a half hours that night. all good fun, haven't mixed anything for a couple of years and have been asked to do a set in brixton for a mates birthday thought i had better get some practice in.
    forgot how many good records i have in my collection, i'm hooked again.

just need something that will open it so i can chop it up and burn to a cd.

Tried an old version of soundforge (5, i think) didn't work, file too large, wavelab only handles 2 gig.
    If i could convert it to .wav i'm sure cubase should be able to handle it, any suggestions for free converters?
    Last edited by rixf666; 17th July 2006 at 17:22.

Withnail
    Quote Originally Posted by rixf666
    definately a mp3 file @128kbps, was mixing for 6 and a half hours that night. all good fun, haven't mixed anything for a couple of years and have been asked to do a set in brixton for a mates birthday thought i had better get some practice in.
    forgot how many good records i have in my collection, i'm hooked again.

just need something that will open it so i can chop it up and burn to a cd.

Tried an old version of soundforge (5, i think) didn't work, file too large, wavelab only handles 2 gig.
    If i could convert it to .wav i'm sure cubase should be able to handle it, any suggestions for free converters?
    To be honest, the majority of programs are going to have fun with a 4.9gp file. Do a search for MP3 Producer. Its not free, but you can probably get a free trial.

Just out of interest, what app were you using to mix the MP3s?

Punto know it all
    I had my decks plugged directly into the pc from the mixer.
    Recorded it with wavelab and all was fine until it tried to write/decode the file, then it wouldn't open it. i thought that i lost the whole thing but the file was still in the folder i recorded it to when i checked the next morning. looks like it wrote it ok but just couldn't open it again afterwards.

Punto Lover
    defintily sounds like you have recoreded it as a Wav.. for a file that big 6 hours is not even close.. you can fit 12.5 hours mp3 format onto a cdr

Punto know it all
    I promise you it is a mp3, unless wav files are now named .mp3 and no one told me about it???
    will try and get a picture to prove it if you want.
    doesn't matter about editing it anymore, i have given up.