Thread: Possible motherboard prob?

Withnail

Possible motherboard prob?

A mate of mine's PC keeps randomingly turning itself off. No errors, no blue screens and the odd thing is, it wont turn back on unless you plug it into a different power outlet. It hasnt blown the original outlet our fuse either, because it will work again if you try it after ten mins or so.

Replaced power supply, but to no avail. I'm thinking motherboard, but I dont particularly want to order one without being completely sure its that. So, any other suggestions? Very simple set up, Asus motherboard, Athlon XP cpu, 512mb, bog standard nvdia FX card.

FLiPNFiLL
    Try the ram first mate, try it with some different ram, or a different socket.

Withnail
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiPNFiLL
    Try the ram first mate, try it with some different ram, or a different socket.
    Just gave that a go, tried different ram and a different slot, no difference

FLiPNFiLL
    Hmmm, not good I guess motherboard is next option, try a different cpu in there if you can?

richie.guy
    Possible CPU overheating.

Re-apply thermal paste and re-seat heatsink

Withnail
    Quote Originally Posted by richie.guy
    Possible CPU overheating.

Re-apply thermal paste and re-seat heatsink
    Its a possibility, although I would expect some sort of warning from the diagnostics stuff I installed for the motherboard.

i think I'll just give him my current setup when I upgrade later this month.

Punto know it all
    sure it's not shuttind down due to overheating? check the heatsink.

Bingo Bango
    knackered PSU, happened to mine.

expect in a few weeks for it to turn off and never turn on again.

at first it worked when i swtiched plugs, or turned it off at the mains for 15 secs then put back on. other times it woud turn on and off straight away and then take ages to turn it back on.