Thread: Calling all DJ's

Banned Trader

Calling all DJ's

Hi guys

really would like to get into dj-ing etc....

anyone on here who can point me the way of some decent decks to start off....

cheers

dai

soche
    buy technic 1210s now!

if you dont you will spend £200 or a bit more on some cheapo ones and in 3 months time decide you need technics (after using a mates set up) so you will save £200+ in the long run, honestly everyone makes the mistake - I did!

ebay is a bit nasty to buy from, try www.gumtree.com free to advertise and lots of options on there.

vestax are superior decks but if you get used to some PDX2000 or better you will find it hard to go back to technics (which every club and bar have)

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by soche
    buy technic 1210s now!

if you dont you will spend £200 or a bit more on some cheapo ones and in 3 months time decide you need technics (after using a mates set up) so you will save £200+ in the long run, honestly everyone makes the mistake - I did!

ebay is a bit nasty to buy from, try www.gumtree.com free to advertise and lots of options on there.

vestax are superior decks but if you get used to some PDX2000 or better you will find it hard to go back to technics (which every club and bar have)
    2 true, 1210's all the way

What ever you get make sure they are direct drives and NOT belt drives!

Make sure you get a decent mixer as well

I have these Decks and I will recommend them!

And this mixer.... very good for the stage that I'm at moment!

Make sure you get a mixer with a replaceable fader.... they can take some hammering

Banned Trader
    cool....cheers guys

im hoping to be getting into hard dance/trance (dont call me chav etc)

ill be looking about in the future so i thought id get a rough idea now!

Seafront Scum
    just get direct drives n **** mixer to start off, no point getting 1210s now you never know if you enjoy mixing and wanna carry on, my first were numbark somthing 20s cant remember, i got 1210s now had them for 2 years.

Punto Lover
    If you just want some cheap decks that take a hammering and have enough torque for ordinary beat mixing, i would seriously reccomend the numark battlepak

i have them and they are supurb, very simple to set up and have lasted a year of SERIOUS abuse from me, tyhe mixer will be fine for the first few months of learning to beatmix, my crossfader lasted well but it isn't adjustable and has a quite long curve (no good at all for scratching, but should be ok for house etc untill you grow out of the basic mixer) and the headphones do their job fantastically....

... that said though, i agree with soche on the technics if you plan on carrying on to playing out etc, as contrary to common opinion a 10 year old set of 1210's are just as good if they've been looked after than a brand new set, and as most pubs and small clubs still use the technics (quite a few big venues (minestry etc) have started to use stanton 150's, arguably the best pro deck aroung at the mo but a real handful for a beginner, and pretty pricey) it'd be a good idea to get used to them,.

so if you're only intending to stay as a bedroom DJ for a few years I'd go for the Numarks, for just over £200, if you're planning to play out after 6-8 months (you'll be lucky to get good enough/have a big enough record collection in time) or you have a few more benjamins knocking around, go for second hand 1210's for 400-500 and if moneys no option and you want the best performing decks at the moment, get stanton st150 (s-shaped tonearm, best for house etc) or STR8150, essentually the same, but with a straight tonearm for better scratching etc, although the stantons will set you back 800-900 with a semi decent mixer...

that said, if there's a shop nearby where you can go to try out all the different secks on the market then go, spend a few hours looking/playing and choose whatever you get on best with!!
    Last edited by 55tim; 21st May 2005 at 15:53.