Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Punto GT vs Clio 172

j@mie

Punto GT vs Clio 172

Raced one of these yesterday up the dual-carriageway.

Right on him. Couldn't get passed - just evenly matched.

Mind you on boost off the roundabout I pulled right up behind him and nearly went into his boot!! Only got up to 90mph, then I had to pull off (My exit).

I think towards top-end they might have a better advantage, just seemed like it. Dunno, didn't hang around to find out.
    Last edited by j@mie; 27th March 2005 at 09:48.

COLIN DAVIES

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by j@mie
    Raced one of these yesterday up the dual-carriageway.

Right on him. Couldn't get passed - just evenly matched.

Mind you on boost off the roundabout I pulled right up behind him and nearly went into his boot!! Only got up to 90mph, then I had to pull off (My exit).

I think towards top-end they might have a better advantage, just seemed like it. Dunno, didn't hang around to find out.
    thats interesting mate,i was wondering on performance on the gt against a newer clio.
    is yours a standard car??

good to see they are still a rare quick little car.

good job mate.

One pulled up behind me few nights ago, I gave it some boot but couldnt shake it. He eventually pulled infront and basically left me for ****! Im running SEB so about 155-160bhp at a guess. No idea if the clio had any mods.

On another note, I had a dabble with a scooby WRX 2ltr turbo few nights ago, it was one of the older ones, I left it off the round abouts, seb gives a noticible gain low down with torque. He eventually managed to catch up and pulled 1 car length before we had to stop. I was quite impressed, and pulled up to have a chat. I was shocked to hear it was a turbo as I imagined a turbo'd scooby to kill me! To be fair he did have 3 in the car, I was on my own so that would have weighted him down quite a bit.
    Last edited by PuntoBaz.NE; 27th March 2005 at 12:11.

COLIN DAVIES

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PuntoBaz.NE
    One pulled up behind me few nights ago, I gave it some boot but couldnt shake it. He eventually pulled infront and basically left me for ****! Im running SEB so about 155-160bhp at a guess. No idea if the clio had any mods.
    bug-er me.
    got to have some engine mods to do that though mate.
    wouldn,t you think?

I think J@mie's car is sebbed just one of the early ones to have had it done and he just doesnt know it.

Gearbox Abuser
    these are 2 cars that if the GT owner drives rite thay will be able to put in a very very good show....

only clio that beat me was a 182 cup...
    172 cup was me mates and he was sooooooooo pissed off when i sat the same distance behind him upto 120. but he gave my cars its dues.

Quote Originally Posted by minifreak
    these are 2 cars that if the GT owner drives rite thay will be able to put in a very very good show....

172 cup was me mates and he was sooooooooo pissed off when i sat the same distance behind him upto 120. but he gave my cars its dues.
    Be careful about slipstreaming

My cars as fast as a scooby from 100-140 behind one

Without it struggles to do 100

Matt 1911
    I was on my way home from work on thursday night following this 172 clio (va-va-voom sticker in the back window!) we left speed limit and both nailed it down this straight and to my shock it was holding me up! Got to the bottom of the road and there is a series of s bends, blooding hell I thought he was going to lose it! back end looked very twitchy! I thought they were a stable fast car!?

Punto Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by minifreak

182 is slower than the 172 ??:

he said the 182 beat him, and the 172 put up a good fight.
    1997 Fiat Punto GT Abarth - being restored
    2014 Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast