Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: XP Installation

joey_turbo

XP Installation LAST QUESTION

I've tried with two different copies to install this. They are both getting stuck around the 65-70 minutes remaining mark. The insatllation screen is still displaying the hints, still got the green boxes at the bottom right ticking away. HDD light is not jammed, I can do everything else on my pc while the XP is stuck.
    Anyone know what it could be?

My pc is def capable of running XP. AMD Athlon 2600, 512RAM, 80GB HDD.
    I got Win98 SE on at the mo, just wanna upgrade, or should I overwrite?
    Should I be using a boot disk aswell?

Any help much appriciated.
    Last edited by joey_turbo; 1st February 2005 at 20:23.

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotastic
    I've tried with two different copies to install this. They are both getting stuck around the 65-70 minutes remaining mark. The insatllation screen is still displaying the hints, still got the green boxes at the bottom right ticking away. HDD light is not jammed, I can do everything else on my pc while the XP is stuck.
    Anyone know what it could be?

My pc is def capable of running XP. AMD Athlon 2600, 512RAM, 80GB HDD.
    I got Win98 SE on at the mo, just wanna upgrade, or should I overwrite?
    Should I be using a boot disk aswell?

Any help much appriciated.

Personally I would format and start again.

joey_turbo
    I thought you was joking when you said that to someone else recently.
    Don't really wanna format. I'd lose all my broadband settings, the settings that took 4 hours on the phone to sort out.
    There must be another way.

Punto know it all
    no, im deadly serious. I format my PC at least once a year - it gets rid of all the crap. Obviously I make sure I know all my settings, I backup alll the stuff I want to keep and I make sure I have installation disks for the software I need.

joey_turbo
    I spose it makes sense.
    I'd do it, but, when I had my BB installed, they completley buggered it up. I was on the phone for 4 hours straight.
    I know if i reset, it'll be a nightmare to set up again.
    I may do it, as a last resort.

Punto Lover
    Ye id go with phill on the reformat. Just back up all your files you dont want to lose on cd and your sorted. I havnt reformatted in about 2yrs now and my PC is full of junk and running so slow. Dont understand why BB settings took you 4hrs especially on the phone? Im with BT as well i just set up my router plugged it in and works straight up.

joey_turbo
    The pc is new, only been running since sept. So thats another reason not to back up.
    NTL "installed" the bb line when i wasn't in. They just left the box and the install cd. When I tried setting up with the cd, it wasn't working cos my details wern't set up at their end. It was a week before they done it, and i was on hold for about 2 hours of that four, the rest was being passed around from dept to dept, each one telling me the last has not set something up correctly.
    I see something in the paper about them having the worst customer servie of any company, its definatley true.

Anyway, do I or should I use an XP bootdisk and completley over install Win98?

Punto Lover
    to reinstall my ntl after a format just put the cd in and just install the drivers from the cd you dont need to go though all the setup crap on the cd after its been done once becuase ntl have all your details alrady set up at there end

just plug in your modem and xp should pop up with and just stick your cd in and it will install the drivers and it will work

Punto Lover
    Ye start the pc up normally but keep hammering the delete button ( i think) to get into the BIOS settings then go to boot sequence and make it boot from CD first. Then put your XP cd in and reboot the pc and it should take you to the XP installation screen. Completely remove the old partition, which will wipe all your things including 98 and it will install a fresh XP.

If i misunderstood you and you just want to install XP i think you can install it and it should delete 98 for you and leave all remaining stuff by just putting the XP CD in and installing (im not totally sure tho)

Punto Lover
    You don't need to set anything up apart from your network card with NTL. Same with Telewest, with cable providers everything is done their end (unlike ADSL which is a lot more complicated)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast