Thread: PLEASE help, Im going mad!! :(

Punto know it all

PLEASE help, Im going mad!! :(

ok, this stupid program is keep installing itself on the hard drive, its kind of a pop-up advert/search-engine that appears at the bottom of the screen when i start explorer and messes up my 'favorites' and my desktop

i used to be able to delete it before but now i cant even right-click on 'em to delete it!! AAAAAARRRRRRGGG!!! im gona set this thing on fire if i cant get rid of it .. S.O.S.

joey_turbo
    its definatly spy ware.
    you'll need to download
    spybot search & destroy
    hijackthis is good aswell.
    ..................kill them mo fo viruses!!

stolen from another forum.

Ok, since i've had a lot of problems with spyware, and i think i've finally found a nice combination of programs to prevent it. I thought i'd share it here.

Program List:

Anti Virus Software
    AVG free Edition

Spyware Protection
    Spyware Blaster v3.2

Spyware Removal
    Spyboy Search & Destroy v1.3 (i think)
    CoolWebSearch Shredder

Toolbar removal
    Toolbar_Uninstall.exe (see below)

Internet Browser
    Mozilla Firefox (duh)

Right, the AVG is a nice free bit of antivirus software, most will have heard of it, i prefer it to norton well, mainly because it uses less resources and it actually updates at my uni halls.

The Spyware blaster is a program that stops a lot of spyware from getting on your computer in the first place. Its a pretty cool program, stopped about 90% of stuff getting on.

Spybot search and destroy has been mentioned here a lot. Its basically ad-aware but better. Get it.

CoolWebSearch Shredder is another nice little program, that is dedicated to getting rid of CWS spyware. Its pretty useful tbh.

Toolbar_uninstaller.exe is a really cool little program i found. I had this really annoying toolbar appearing at the bottom of my screen for ages in Internet explorer, this wasn't a problem really as i'd been using firefox for a while, but a popup advert would appear every now and again in IE and the toolbar would stick a load of spyware on my comp again. This got rid of it, and im guessing it actually got rid of a lot of other stuff to. It's worth running just incase.

Firefox... download it, then use it after you've installed and run all the other programs. Once it is installed, open up Internet Explorer, and destroy it... Put the security level to the lowest, dont let IE do anything... Then delete the shortcuts everywhere and replace them with firefox ones.

Now, i've made a .zip file with some of the programs in it.

The zip contains:

CWS schredder,
    Spybot SD
    Spyware Blaster
    Toolbar_uninstall

and you can get it from

http://linda.andrews1.users.btopenwo...DR/Spyware.zip

You can get AVG anti virus from:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

You can get Firefox from:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

This post is more of a summary of what other people have said on here, all put together. You should try using all of these programs.

I personally have used the Spyware blaster all the time (as it runs in the background), the CWS shreader and the toolbar_unistaller once only, and the spybot S&D i use every week or so.

If you have spyware problems, give this combination a go and see if it solves it.

flyingbanana
    DITCH IE & get mozilla firefox instead.

Punto know it all
    download adaware 6 from www.download.com then install it and update the definitions.

then run on your pc. reboot and run again.

secondly check the add/remove section of control panel for any clues to remoe the software.

if you still get stuck navigate to this registry key in REGEDIT.exe (executable from the RUN command line)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

this key contains all the files loaded when windows reaches the desktop.

hope that helps,

cheers,

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    if you still get stuck navigate to this registry key in REGEDIT.exe (executable from the RUN command line)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

this key contains all the files loaded when windows reaches the desktop.

hope that helps,

cheers,
    http://www.windowsstartup.com/

This piece of FREE software is great for checking what programs run at startup, and queries an online database that even tells you what each program is/does. Also lets you disable or delete them as well.

Punto know it all

Thumbs up

Thank you all for ur help, i'll give it a try now and see how it goes,

cheers

Punto know it all

Thumbs up

yiipeee!! computer is running like a dream again, no bullshit comes up and all the fixed icons and links are dissapeared

these softwares are the dogs bollox 8).. thank you all for ur help again

Quote Originally Posted by Ste

The zip contains:

CWS schredder,
    Spybot SD
    Spyware Blaster
    Toolbar_uninstall

and you can get it from

http://linda.andrews1.users.btopenwo...DR/Spyware.zip