Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keeping the revs up.

Lifeless Geek - need to get out more!

Keeping the revs up.

Right, is there something that you can get that keeps the revs up so you don't loose speed.

For example, i pull away at the bottom of a hill,from first to second, at 4k revs change from second to third and the revs drop to just over 2k revs, thus loosing speed.

maybe, that's the way it is only having a 1.2, but it is bloody annoying.
    Last edited by Cat; 24th December 2004 at 15:07.

Punto Lover
    Rev it more in 2nd 8)

Lifeless Geek - need to get out more!
    LOL, i'm always really worried aout reving it too much.

Is it cool to take it to 5-5.5 then?

shamster
    i know when u r just about to go round a corner you can double clutch, dont think this works when speeding up though

I must stop saying "tbh"
    if shifting up double clutching does little

try revving higher your engine will take 6500rpm although it gets noisy

Banned
    providing your engine is in good health you will not do any damage to your engine, if you have a 16v then your power band is quite high anyway so you would need to rev it high.

double clutching down you would bleep the accelerator whist in neutural to get the clutch plate and flywheel at the same speed. this is not a go faster technique but mearly how to change gear without synco mesh or if you want to be kinder to your gearbox.

double clutching up you don't need to bleep in neutural as the clutch plate will be spinning faster (as supposed to gearing down when the clutch speed will be slower)

rev your car higher and change gear with the double clutching technique and you should be happy. Doing it quickly takes practice, but after a while you change gear just as quick as you used to except for your gearbox will like you afterwards...

Punto know it all
    it's what some cars (ferrari for example) do for you.

when you change gear they rev the engine to keep the revs up, thus sustaining momentum.

this however can be achieved if you tap the accelerator between changes. but you'll have to keep them quick.

soche
    chaning up loses approx 2000 revs so to keep it in the power band change gear when revs hit around 5500 or up to 6500 so it starts the next gear around 3500. Theres a limiter built into your ecu which automatically stops the car revving over about 7000 or a little under so dont worry about that.

CTR_Paul
    My Sporting saw 6500rpm virtually every day I drove it for 3 &1/2 years. I never had an engine fault with it at all. Regular oil and plug changes and not hitting the limiter seemed to keep it all running smoothly. It pulled better with 36k on the clock than it did with 16k on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 16v punto
    Right, is there something that you can get that keeps the revs up so you don't loose speed.

For example, i pull away at the bottom of a hill,from first to second, at 4k revs change from second to third and the revs drop to just over 2k revs, thus loosing speed.

maybe, that's the way it is only having a 1.2, but it is bloody annoying.
    Either

Add more weight to your flywheel to keep inertia, or change gear faster.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast