Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leon Cupra R vs Civic Type R

Punto Lover
    I really like the way all the magazines are starting to slate the CTR dynamics now!! Have things really moved on in the relatively short time it's been around?

Still a good car and who wants a fault free car anyway?? The faults give them character!

Do you lot not think the lean looks a bit too repmobiley? Even with big wheels and brakes...

if you can get a brand new Clio 182 for £12k i don't think you can do better than that!

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    if you can get a brand new Clio 182 for £12k i don't think you can do better than that!
    erm... it's a clio

FLiPNFiLL
    There is no comparison between VAG cars and Renault

Punto know it all

Punto Lover
    Wouldn't look right in a 3dr, looks good enough as it is.

myredbullet
    the Leon's interior is lush!!

I would buy it just for that, also it looks great in 5drs, if it was a 3dr it would be too 'Ibiza-ish'

Punto know it all
    interior of the leon, looks like a cheaper audi.

then again, pop the bonnet and you'll see lot's of audi badges on things.

Punto Lover
    The leon is top quality, i would love one

FLiPNFiLL
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    interior of the leon, looks like a cheaper audi.

then again, pop the bonnet and you'll see lot's of audi badges on things.

Its the same with the Golf, cheaper Audi.

They all use the same mechanical parts, engines, pipework etc, the interior difference is the most noticeable, Golf coming closest to Audi quality interior.

But of course, the price differences between the Seat/Skoda/Vw/Audi

They are still way higher than any Renault or Citreon build, its amazing those companies still exist!

This review has been done to death in many magazines.... CTR wins most of the time, it is king of hot hatches for now. The Cupra-R is easier to drive fast though, you have to be quite skilled to get the most out of the CTR. Revo chipped Cupra's (the 270bhp kind) have real trouble getting the power down, and the traction control seriously hinders launching, it's a waste of time with it and without it - they go better standard. Typical VAG car, it's fast enough, and safe.... CTR is more 'hands on'. VTEC sounds like nothing you could ever imagine unless you have been in one, and they just keep pulling and pulling.

It's down to personal choice at the end of the day - the fact that the CTR is common means that prices in the long run are likely to fall, and it is fast looking like it will become the new Saxo which is disappointing. The Cupra-R is harder to find, and if I'm being honest, I think it looks better.... would look much better if 3 door instead of 5 though. However, that said, a Mugen front grille totally transforms the look of the CTR, and makes it much more aggresive... Mugen front lip works even better still, but we're talking £1000 for the pair. Jap tuning isn't cheap either, but you could see 240-250bhp N/A from a CTR, and if money is no object, super/turbocharge it and you'd see 300+ easily running just 8psi! Cupra-R is much easier to get the power from, as it is already turbo'd, so a simple remap often see's at least 250bhp for as little as £500.

The best piece of advice I can give you is go out and test drive them both a couple of times before you make your decision.

I hope this helps ?

Matt.
    Last edited by Debo; 9th December 2004 at 22:16. Reason: to add a picture - mugen ctr!
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast