Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 106 quicksilver / mk1 sporting 1.2 16v

chris-punto1

Question 106 quicksilver / mk1 sporting 1.2 16v

was thinking of buying a new car after christmas, ive got a punto 55 at the moment and have been looking at either a 106 quicksilver or punto sporting 1.2 16v, whats peoples thoughts about the 106 over the punto or vice versa, what kind of power figures can be achieved from the sporting? the punto is definatley more affordable and would love to spend my money on a Gt but the insurance would kill me!

CTR_Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-punto1
    was thinking of buying a new car after christmas, ive got a punto 55 at the moment and have been looking at either a 106 quicksilver or punto sporting 1.2 16v, whats peoples thoughts about the 106 over the punto or vice versa, what kind of power figures can be achieved from the sporting? the punto is definatley more affordable and would love to spend my money on a Gt but the insurance would kill me!
    Quick Silver is 75bhp as standard, 11bhp down on the Sporting, the difference is more than noticable.

Naturally the Pug wins on the handling, but you'll pay a premium for a Pug 106, so you would probably end up with a newer punto for the same sort of money.

Not sure about the Pug, but the 1.2 16v engines in the Punto seem pretty bullet proof, not really read about anyone having major probs.

chris-punto1
    so the pug 1.4 quicksilver is only 75 bhp where as a 1.2 sporting is 85/86 bhp? ive heard that they handle real well yer but the sporting is much cheaper in comparison so that might have to be the one!

Devon
    get a sporting mate
    there not the fastest thing on the roads but they like to rev, there nippy, they handle ok but most of all they are good fun and will put a smile on yer face

Punto know it all
    buy my 1.2 16v for £2,000.

Withnail
    Nice car, pugs, but they're not particularly reliable. There's a couple of very annoying, common problems with 106 engines.

Buy Zeus' car, its a minter.

Punto Enthusiast
    Withnail..., What are the common probs with the Pug 106 engine?..My g/f's looking 2 px her Sporting for a quiksilver in the next month or 2..

chris-punto1
    yer i seen zeus' car in the for sale section and it does look a minter problem is i cant afford a new car until after xmas but ive definatley decided to stick with a punto, am i right in thinking that the 1.6 8v is no better than the 1.2 16v also i presume that the insurance on the 1.6 would be higher?

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-punto1
    yer i seen zeus' car in the for sale section and it does look a minter problem is i cant afford a new car until after xmas but ive definatley decided to stick with a punto, am i right in thinking that the 1.6 8v is no better than the 1.2 16v also i presume that the insurance on the 1.6 would be higher?
    No. Think they are the same. Ins grp 7 I think. The 1.6 8v engine is the same as the VTR engine. Not very quick for what it is. Sporting would be your best bet. I so prefer 16v engines too for some reason, really buzzy engines.

Punto know it all
    1.2 16v is better than 8v models yes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast