I need a little bit of help here I will really appreciate it if someone can help me come up with a solution. It seems to me like it is going to be an easy fix but I just want the knowledge of someone who knows what they are doing properly before I potentially break anything. I looked up Fiat punto forums online and this seems to be the best one, I have only just joined.

I have a 2007 plate fiat Grande punto dynamic 1.2, which has always been regularly serviced and looked after and I have never had any problems with it.
I was moving along slowly in traffic earlier today in 2nd gear up a steep sort of hill and half way up the hill the traffic stopped so I slowly came to a stop myself and changed into 1st gear but as I changed into first gear I felt a crunch in my hand and the gear stick suddenly went very loose and now it is stuck in 1st gear.
It is strange though because with not much of a struggle I can select 1st , 2nd , 3rd and 4th gear (but it doesn't actually engage into 2nd 3rd or 4th, all it does is select them. the car is stuck in 1st gear)
The gear stick doesn't even move over to the far right hand side of the box at all because 5th gear and reverse are on the right hand side of the gearbox and they are not even possible to move into because it feels that hard. The car drives perfectly fine in 1st gear.
Please see the pictures that I have attached, there is a little white clip on the right hand side that I believe has popped out of the small black hole below it, but I cannot make it fit in as the white clip appears to be to high to fit in the hole below it.
Sorry if I have rambled on a bit here . I do have experience with cars but not gear boxes or gear linkages, it does seem to me like the little white clip has just popped out of place on the right hand side on the gearstick which explains the fact that it won't select 5th gear or reverse which are conveniently placed on the right hand side of the box.
If anyone can help or give any advice I will very much appreciate it as I need my car for work and I am trying to do a speedy repair
Many thanks

I can send the picture to people separately as it doesn't seem to want to upload on here