Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clarke CEW1000 240v Electric Impact Gun

Punto know it all

Clarke CEW1000 240v Electric Impact Gun

Made another purchase for the tool box this time I spent a bit more than £4 on a stethoscope on ebay!

Was flicking through my Machine Mart catalogue looking at breaker bars to undo pulley wheels, gears and hub nuts etc. then I spotted they do an impact gun on 240v. I thought these were all windy guns only or at leats those that had some proper power.

The longest breaker bar was £24 and wasnt any guarantee that youd still undo the various nuts (or get the car at the right height to use a long bar) even with adding on a scaffold pole for more torque. I read the spec and the reviews and the impact gun seem to make much more sense long term even if cost more. This Clarke Impact Gun was £68 with the VAT (I could have saved £5 buying on ebay with delivery but I figured buying from a local MM meant taking it back for any faults was worth paying the extra for rather than having to courier it off) - so I was only forking out another £44 over a breaker bar and the gun can be used on a whole world of PITA jobs. I'll be changing gearboxes again soon so this will make the job so much easier especially the hub nuts and the bellhousing nuts and lower strut nuts.

The maximum torque of this little demon is 450Nm which is plenty. The gun is very heavy and although ive not tested it on the car yet plugging it in at home and giving it a little rev, you can feel its a beast. Its a 1/2" socket drive. I'll post back once its been put to the test but I reckon its a real value for money piece of kit and its Clarkes so you cant go wrong. 12 month warranty too. Also included you get 4 impact sockets 17, 19, 21 and 22mm 6 pointers.

Fred Elliot, i say Fred Elliot! Mawbster's Avatar
    Be good to hear how thos handles various jobs. Looked at these before but was always worried they wouldnt be up to the job.

Excellent purchase! I never even considered that there'd be electric versions.

Is it variable torque? 450Nm sounds like a beast!

Saw this review on the MM site:

I bought this wrench after a recommendation from a friend, and not being able to remove the hub on my car using a 9ft scaffold pole over my three foot breaker bar.
    On using the wrench, the nut was off in about one second flat, I can't recommend this tool enough.
    Think i'll be making a purchase, in fact I'm gonna buy it now, thanks for the heads up dude!

Punto know it all
    yeah that review made me laugh about the 9ft pole!

ive been down that road too many times, not quite 9ft though

i dont think its variable.

Just been doing some reading, and if you wanted to tighten bolts (as well as undoing them) you would need something like this http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-363133/s...que-stick.html to prevent overtightening...

The torque obviously doesn't need to be adjusted for undoing bolts!

The cordless version is double the price, and you don't get any impact sockets with it - i may wait until i get my car back before i purchase... No point in getting ahead of meself and loading up my credit card before i need to!

Punto know it all
    nah this will do me just to undo nuts.

ive a torque wrench for tightening up to spec. but can use the gun to get them nipped up first.

i wasnt bothered about going cordless and the price for the privilege was as you say double. cant be doing with charging/swapping batteries.

Punto know it all
    Take it easy. Wheel bolts will fly off!! My mate has one and rarely uses it as its overkill for most jobs.

Lifeless Geek - need to get out more! Todd's Avatar
    I had one, they're very good. Bought it for getting hub nuts off. Dont rely on it for tightening tho. Gave it to a friend when I bought my mac tools gun

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Fred Elliot, i say Fred Elliot! Mawbster's Avatar
    Lets see you at the rr day clarkster

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast