Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eventful day

Punto Sports Club Member
    Well went for a drive in the rain pulled over expansion tank was empty so must of got rid of the airlock so topped it up. The heaters are blowing both cold and hot, and the fan has now started kicking in but its a bit above the middle on the temp gauge. Where as before it used to kick in bang on or just under the middle of the temp gauge. Thinking maybe I had an airlock before the sensor so it was not getting a reading, what do you guys make of the temp being higher than it ever has and the fan kicking in later maybe more air trapped somewhere? Is it worth letting the car idle with the expansin tank cap of and see if there is bubbles present?

Punto Enthusiast
    The fan on mine comes in just above the middle line, i think as long as its coming on it will be fine. Its when it don't come on at all you need to worry

Punto Sports Club Member
    I'm probably just being paranoid. It's just I have owned the GT since April and it has never gone over the middle line even when left to idle, and the fan has always come on just before the middle line or right on the middle line.

Punto know it all
    they are very tempramental GTs when you mess with the cooling system i ve found.

how many litres has the car taken to refill the system? i take you did a flush through and reverse flush?

not sure if the 2 speed resistor can stick on the higher speed setting so that when the car starts to heat up the low speed doesnt trigger the fan on and it has to get a bit hotter before the 2nd speed kicks the fan in?
    Last edited by clarkster; 20th November 2013 at 10:48.

Punto Sports Club Member
    It took roughly 5 litres does not seem to have room for the 6 litres. Yes I flushed it a few times

Punto know it all
    so unlikely to be an air lock as the block holds in about a litre i think so youre not far off the 6.

not knowing what wirings been donebefore with the manual switch i cant offer any ideas on what else this could be but i would keep a very careful eye on any GT where the gauge goes over 1/2 regardless of what some might say (i ran my car for 10 years blah blah blah and the gauge was at 2/3rds all day long etc). IMHO it shouldnt be above 1/2.

id suggest the fan switch works ok but maybe its that hi-lo 2 speed resistor stopping it cutting in at the lower temp.

Punto know it all
    i'd like to know your thoughts now youve fitted the Eibach ARBs mate makes a big difference eh......

Punto Sports Club Member
    It has been abit icy so not had chance to test them properly yet but the car does seem more balanced and precise

Punto Sports Club Member
    Well ran the car from cold to hot with the rad cap off squeezing the pipes and the fan now kicks in bang on the line!

Ah, good crack! Pretty poor that its taken all that just to get rid of some air bubbles!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast