Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whining Tyres / Psi

Punto know it all

Whining Tyres / Psi

On the E46, at the rear I have some tasty Kumho's (255/35/18) which I cannot find fault with............

But, up front, I still have whatever budget range tyres that were on the car when I bought them (Triangle or something similar) and they whine like hell from about 18mph up to 30mph..... to the extent that I had both wheels off to test the bearings. Anyway, I concluded that it was the tyres. Some severe testing during a heavy shower confirmed this, as the lower resistance greatly reduced the noise.

So, currently I run 225/40/18 at 32psi, and my question to you all is what psi do you all reccomend, and would increasing / decreasing this help cure my road noise.

An answer of 'buy new tyres' is of no use to me, as I have good tread all round and am waiting until at least one corner needs replacing, before buying all four corners a little treat (Conti Sport Contact 3 most probably) and get mine listed on eBay as partworn.

Any ideas appreciated chaps

Paul

Goody 2 Puntos Coupe 20VT
    Guildford by way of Haddenham, Wilmslow and Rochdale (etc.)
    Umm, it's going to be compound and tread pattern related, I'd say. You might get away with increased pressures over standard, to reduce contact area somewhat, but don't go mad or you could have front end grip problems, aquaplaning etc.

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by GT3guy View Post
    Umm, it's going to be compound and tread pattern related, I'd say. You might get away with increased pressures over standard, to reduce contact area somewhat, but don't go mad or you could have front end grip problems, aquaplaning etc.
    May try upping it by 2 psi at a time and seeing how it goes. Front end grip is negligable at the best of times on these.........

You got budgets all round?

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hans View Post
    You got budgets all round?
    Just at the front. I'm quite happy with the Kumho's at the back

Kumho are budget.

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hans View Post
    Kumho are budget.
    Still £150 a corner versus super **** ones at circa £60

Anyway, the rears aren't whining........

Tested pressure at home or at the garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Stavros View Post
    On the E46, at the rear I have some tasty Kumho's (255/35/18) which I cannot find fault with............

But, up front, I still have whatever budget range tyres that were on the car when I bought them (Triangle or something similar) and they whine like hell from about 18mph up to 30mph..... to the extent that I had both wheels off to test the bearings. Anyway, I concluded that it was the tyres. Some severe testing during a heavy shower confirmed this, as the lower resistance greatly reduced the noise.

So, currently I run 225/40/18 at 32psi, and my question to you all is what psi do you all recommend, and would increasing / decreasing this help cure my road noise.?

An answer of 'buy new tyres' is of no use to me, as I have good tread all round and am waiting until at least one corner needs replacing, before buying all four corners a little treat (Conti Sport Contact 3 most probably) and get mine listed on eBay as partworn.

Any ideas appreciated chaps

Paul
    Better sort your punctuation and spelling out before you ask for any more advice

I always run the Evo, 255/35/18's, at 33psi and there isn't noticeable amounts of road noise.

3 suggestions;
    1: Turn the radio up maybe?
    2: Buy a huuuge exhaust so you can only hear that?
    3: If it goes away with less road ressistance maybe come up with some device to constantly sprinkle your front tyres with diesel as you're driving along?

HTH.

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by WilkyWay View Post
    Better sort your punctuation and spelling out before you ask for any more advice

I always run the Evo, 255/35/18's, at 33psi and there isn't noticeable amounts of road noise.

3 suggestions;
    1: Turn the radio up maybe?
    2: Buy a huuuge exhaust so you can only hear that?
    3: If it goes away with less road ressistance maybe come up with some device to constantly sprinkle your front tyres with diesel as you're driving along?

HTH.
    Moderator test passed! 10 PSC points for Wilky

As for number three.... I was thinking of finding a twenty year old Ford and just following that everywhere, as it would line the road with a nice smooth coating of oil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast