Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi! Marko@SpeedView

PSC Trader

Hi! Marko@SpeedView

Evening all,

I'm Marko and I've recently started a company called SpeedView Displays. I sell a small head-up display that projects speed onto your windscreen and hope to create some 'how to'; guides for fitting it with the forum's help.

No Punto myself sorry, but I'm sure you'll appreciate at least one of the toys on the current fleet...

My first car - verging on family heirloom now as I've had it half my life.

It had an 8 valve pushrod carbed 2.3 petrol in at first, which did 15mpg, had 50 bhp, needed leaded petrol, and took a shade over 30 secs to hit 60. The insurers wouldn't let me put a 2.5 turbo-diseasel in, but any smaller engine was fine. (I was 17 at the time) Any engine I asked? Anything you like, so long as its smaller. I didn't ask twice!

The engine came from a Rover 220 Coupe Turbo, big intercooler, with the boost set to, err, several? Live axles, leaf springs, and drum brakes on the front and the rear. Knobbly Teflon cross-plies added to the fun!

I also own 1/3 of what seemed like a really, really, good idea in the pub. (Damn you eBay for Android) Could have been worse I suppose, as we found a few cheap double-deckers in the watch list.

An ex-Westminster XJ8 that Dave Cameron might drive it if he was as flair as JFK. She's an early extended wheelbase 4.0 V8 sovereign with a half a hundredweight of structural reinforcement to replace the stiffness lost when the roof was removed. The structural work is complete, just the minor task of refitting all the electronics/interior and a lick of paint. Kitted out to tow so if you see any Oz Clark/James May worthy caravan knocking about...

The sensible daily. They cost about 20 pence to insure, the engines/gearboxes are completely indestructible, and they're an absolute riot on the B-roads at 'Hey, I'm not going to lose my licence' speeds...

Hello anyways, I hope I'll fit in and can be of some use, and I'll post the discount/call for test pilots in the offers section.

--
    Marko
    More toy detail here:
    http://www.speedview.co/about

Punto Enthusiast
    these look really interesting bits of kit! and better value than i've seen on ebay before, welcome! might get one and pretend i'm 007 or something

PSC Trader
    Cheers Jack

I get mine made in the same factory as Valeo's speedvisio product (RRP > £100). Same internals, slightly different case, better tech support, much better price. (I cost less to feed...)

The Defi products are worth a look. Nicer bit of kit, but significantly (5x) more expensive.

You can sometimes get slightly cheaper head up displays via eBay. They're not type approved, don't come with warranty/returns/tech support, and they aren't paying their import taxes. (type approval costs 000s, and avoiding the support/not paying their taxes saves them £10-15 each)

Most important though is that they just don't work properly (I went through a lot of absolute tat before settling on this particular product/factory)

The major fail is skimping on the LEDs and driver circuits to hit that price. This means that they're either not as bright/not daylight visible, or that they've over-driven cheaper LEDs to make them brighter. (this works, but not for long, and only saves them about £2 a unit)

Other failures that would have been free to fix if they'd thought about their product more when designing it are making the case shiny (this gives you horrible reflections in the glass) and not including a shroud around the display. (you end up seeing both the projection and the reflection at the same time, which is distracting)

I'll open a separate thread once Daniel/superman has arranged all the admin details.

Morning Marko,

Your new forum is setup in the Traders Outpost!

PSC Trader
    Thanks Daniel

Here's the spunky new subforum:
    http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/...play.php?f=154

And details of the offer:
    http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/...d.php?t=125107

Is there a trick to embedding youtube videos on the forum? Usually it's like this on vBulletin:

http://www.geekpoint.net/threads/you...bulletin.3877/

But I've failed to have that working!

Fred Elliot, i say Fred Elliot! Mawbster's Avatar
    ive stated in your other thread its currently disabled until we upgrade to the new forum build.

PSC Trader
    Thanks - that's good to know, nice when it's not just me being a numpty!

Punto know it all
    They look very cool!

Have you fitter one to a plexed peugeot yet?

PSC Trader
    No Peugeots yet.

If it's newish, you'll probably have the speed signal at the head unit. Does the volume adjust as you drive? Do you have a wiring diagram for it? I'm happy to take a look at screengrabs and advise.

Cheers,

--
    Marko

Punto know it all
    What do you mean by volume adjust?

I don't have a diagram on hand.

It's a 53 plate, I know people have issues with post 2002 being a plexed system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast