Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Changes to the MOT Jan/2012

Punto know it all
    they are tightening up then.

i agree about security of batteries. lots of people are driving around with just the 2 cables holding their battery in. mind numbingly crazy if they have an impact its ka-boom! not only that a loose battery causes all kinds of starting,idling and running issues.

brake fluid warning light check. probably a good thing but lets face it there are thousands of people out there that would quite happily drive their heap around for 11 months with that light on anyway! its not as if theyd bother to top up the day it comes on.devil may care and all that but at least its another check on the brakes annually.

the airbag warning light will only be an issue to GT owners who took their wheel off but didnt follow the correct procedure. they will have to replace their bulbs and go get the light reset. i wonder what the score will be if you have fitted an aftermarket wheel with no bag (comes under roadworthy modification?). the bypass might work. they will turn on the ignition to check the light comes on then extinguishes. does the bypass do this Simon?

steering locks - now ive had 6 x GTs (1995 to 1998 models) and every one of them had crap steering locks. most cars you can take out the key and just nudge the wheel and the lock goes on but not with Puntos. not any of mine anyway. you have to really grab the wheel firmly and turn it a good 180 degree turn (not easy with the engine off) and even then its hit and miss if the lock will engage so i never bother now. i hate turning the wheel that far when the engine isnt running as it feels like youre straining the steering. quite what this has to do with "roadworthiness" is beyond me anyway. its security. what next? alarms and immobilisers tested?

do cars that are now 3 years old have steering lock warning lights cos ive never heard of this before???
    Last edited by clarkster; 18th December 2011 at 06:51.

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Whats all this Craig, more secrets????

You'd be buggered even without the cat before though...
    lol no secrets here its all in the project thread

Punto Enthusiast
    the steering boss i got (momo one) has the airbag bypass in it, so it all works like a normal standard set up in regards to the dash but like you say the new steering wheel has no airbag. I guess the 'warnings' on the boss and new wheel about it being 'race use only' will come into play and it'll have to be a standard wheel and air bag for the test. im hoping thats not the case but.. i guess i'll find out soon enough

Punto Enthusiast
    I assume that the VIN can identify if the vehicle had an airbag fitted. So, when the tester log it on, VOSA will tell them.

the RFR on the seats says:

'The driver’s seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism not functioning as intended'

if the seat is fixed, then surely it is functioning as intended because it is designed to be fixed ?

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    the RFR on the seats says:

'The driver’s seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism not functioning as intended'

if the seat is fixed, then surely it is functioning as intended because it is designed to be fixed ?
    i think we can cut the testers some slack. common sense ought to prevail on items like this otherwise youd have people all over the country trawling the tat yards for OE parts. im sure theyll have guidelines on borderline stuff like this.
    in many cases the clue is in the actual description.

Punto Lover
    my battery not strapped down and the possi concections pops off scary sh1t when im doing 70mph and it pops off and it was flooding down with rain oooo the joys :P

ive better get saving to fix car lol
    hand brake bearly works
    heating nooo woolie hat scarf and your set
    passenger drive shift noisie
    gearbox mounts rubbing
    shreded a bolt on rear wheel
    bumper
    slam panel
    rad fan
    probs back drums :P

not too much should keep me busy lol

Punto know it all
    things are getting stricter and stricter!! might have to invest in a moped lol

Punto Lover
    i end up killing me self on 1 them :P

Punto know it all
    What a load of B*llocks!!

Another way to price the motorists off the road with more repair fees on borderline stuff, more re-test fees etc etc....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast