Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new daily whip rx8

Punto Sports Club Member dru1989's Avatar

new daily whip rx8

got my new car delivered to me last week, bought it with a water leak and after some investigation it looks to be a water seal in the engine has blown, so its turned into a bit more of a project than expected.

only spent a couple of hours so far towards getting the engine out, hopefuly il have it out in a week or two, will need to get an engine crane from somewhere though.

the car got dirty on the back of the trailer when being delivered so gave it a quick scrub up today.

My mate had one for a week and a half before he got bored if it. Nice comfy cars, but terrible fuel and oil economy, and not very thrilling. Will be alot of fun in the snow though!

PSC sex offender no.1
    I run the HGT against one at Pod once......he struggled to keep pace until the last 100 yards or so.

Very fragile car.

Its taken a while but I finally got the engine out, originally I brought a 1ton crane but it didn't reach the engine and would still have been a 50/50 if I could be bothered with the greif of removing the bumper.

Luckily machine mart let me exchange it for long reach version they do unfortunately I lost the vat saving I got on the first one.

Managed to get my first day off work this year on Monday n set to work, after an hour I was ready to split the engine and box, only 5 bolts nice n easy I thought, 3 bolts had easy access with the gun, but near on no access for the remaining 2, went out n brought a bendy spanner and bendy ratchet neither did the job being bent back on themselves they kept slipping off the bolts.
    Was dark now and working under my light I was going to give up for the day, but then I somehow managed to get the gun in-between the gear box and chassis and had the engine out in no time.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

spent a couple of hours on it yesturday and a few today and got the engine striped back to near enough a bare block.

oil filler section

inlet comeing off

2nd injectors and rotor/housing oil jets

well i went off on what must been my most expensive road trip to date.

arrived at rotechniks and they had a pukka rx7 parked down the side

they had to strip my engine down to determine if it was a good exchange, was hoping to get a few snaps but sods law phone battery dies after the first one.

big bars to undo the flywheel and eccentric shaft bolts.

the strip down revealed that waterjackets in both rotor housings had damage and were the cause of the coolant lose, and why the engine wouldn't start giving the impression it was flooded.
    on further inspection unfortunately one of the housing had cracks around the spark hole so the new engine was a little more costly than i was hoping for.

but the new engine dont half look good, and all real nice guys working there being right helpful swapping all the senors and bolts over for me

just ordered a new clutch kit from mazda, should be there for me to collect on tuesday.

Punto know it all
    Good progress, I hope you didn't pay too much for the car due to the amount of work you have done.

Punto know it all

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast