Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: midnight gt3

Punto know it all
    Love the colour Matt.

Although it does appear to me you broke yours and have bought one thats 10 times worse condition??

Quote Originally Posted by cpunto View Post
    Sorry.. did you, just say, you are going to weld a Punto? Not scrap the whole car, but weld? Now where's that other thread of yours? lol
    And that made me lmfao

Quote Originally Posted by PuntoGTturbo View Post
    got my rear arches done for 80£.. was much worse than that... Plus we did no prepping ourselfs.
    Not surprised that job only cost £80....

It's a bargain at £440 but it's never going to fetch £2K or even close Matt.

Shame alot seem to be rusting there, it's always the later ones too!

Punto know it all
    It's due to not a lot of people washing under their arches, plus the theory that Fiat didn't want to waste money protecting the later models (Mk2 developmnent?). The offside arch is always worse as all the muck sits on top of the petrol filler cap for years, eating it's way outside->in.

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by cpunto View Post
    It's due to not a lot of people washing under their arches
    BINGO! Same for any car, i've never owned a car that the wheel arches haven't been chocka-block with mud prior to owning it! Doesnt take a few minutes to stick the pressure washer inside each arch while you're washing does it!

Punto Lover
    i bet if half you lot grown some nuts and stripped your punto to the shell there would be rust in at least 2places i dont care anyway it was only a weeks wage to hire the trailer, fuel n to buy the car so not really bothered what i end up doing with it lol

Brummy bummer
    Haha I would weld it up for you for a bit of beer money if I had the time. If I spent enough time on it you'd never know it was done

Unfortunately though Matt, Dan is right and I was going to say the same thing. You will be very lucky to sell it for £2k, especially with the way the car market is right now.

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterAuron View Post
    Haha I would weld it up for you for a bit of beer money if I had the time. If I spent enough time on it you'd never know it was done

Unfortunately though Matt, Dan is right and I was going to say the same thing. You will be very lucky to sell it for £2k, especially with the way the car market is right now.
    if you can do such a good job kyle hows £300 cash sound with materials supplied. and yeh lol think i may have been a bit silly 2k what was i thinking let me know if yoy fance the welding mate aint in no rush say in a month

Brummy bummer
    Just don't think I'll have the time, certainly not for three or four weeks than past that I have no idea. Probably going to get shipped off to one of the nuclear stations.

You want to be looking at paying less than £300 or doing it yourself if you ever want to make any money from the car chap. MIG welding mild steel is easy, it's the prep and finishing that takes the time, especially if you want it to look good.

It's very thin there (well the whole car is!) so you will need to put your welder on the lowest settings it will go, use 0.6 wire, tack all around the edges about every couple of inches or so then fill in the gaps between the tacks using short pulses rather than a continious weld as you will just blow through or warp the sh*t out of the panel. You need to weld like an inch or so, then move to another part of the patch, another patch or wait a bit. The idea here is to minimise distortion by limiting the heat that you put into the patch.

Making your repair patches will probably take the longest as they need to be pretty much perfect and butt up on ALL EDGES otherwise you will just blow through on such thin metal.

Or spend £20million and get a TIG lol.

Thats a cheap car for 440 even with the rot issues, i take it thats why it was cheap? ie the car was short on mot and the previous owner knew it wouldnt go through?

Does seem kinda ironic you wouldnt weld yours when it was as half as bad as this one lol

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterAuron View Post
    Just don't think I'll have the time, certainly not for three or four weeks than past that I have no idea. Probably going to get shipped off to one of the nuclear stations.

You want to be looking at paying less than £300 or doing it yourself if you ever want to make any money from the car chap. MIG welding mild steel is easy, it's the prep and finishing that takes the time, especially if you want it to look good.

It's very thin there (well the whole car is!) so you will need to put your welder on the lowest settings it will go, use 0.6 wire, tack all around the edges about every couple of inches or so then fill in the gaps between the tacks using short pulses rather than a continious weld as you will just blow through or warp the sh*t out of the panel. You need to weld like an inch or so, then move to another part of the patch, another patch or wait a bit. The idea here is to minimise distortion by limiting the heat that you put into the patch.

Making your repair patches will probably take the longest as they need to be pretty much perfect and butt up on ALL EDGES otherwise you will just blow through on such thin metal.

Or spend £20million and get a TIG lol.
    lol im sure i could weld it myself but want a good job done i dont think my first weld will be anywhere near good enough and pointless in buying a mig for a couple of welds lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast