Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Someone TO DO THIS Conversion 1.6 GT

Punto Enthusiast
    Well take it this way, Its just the 1.4 GT with a 1.6 bottom end everything else is from the 1.4 GT. so you go the same way as you would change the bottom end on your 1.4 gt but with the 1.6 block then from that the same way you would do a gt conversion with a punto 60 (for example). Is that still complicated?

Punto Enthusiast
    Go through this thread it should be clearer than what I am trying to explain
    http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/...d.php?t=114125
    Last edited by AbarthGT; 8th April 2011 at 22:11.

PSC sex offender no.1
    I'd recommend doing it yourself and taking your time...with some guidance from the forum.
    That way you'll learn your way around the engine bay better so that when the inevitable breakdown comes along you won't have to call round looking for help...you'll be able to maintain and repair yourself.

Fred Elliot, i say Fred Elliot! Mawbster's Avatar
    i doubt you will find anybody to do this coversion for you. thier arent that many about and from previos people doing things alng this like its much better to use a differnt block than the 1.6 as its not supposed to be very strong.

i belive people use the x19 block instead as its much better.

Punto know it all
    the gts head isnt ideal as the valves in cylinders 2 and 3 are not inline with the pistons when fitted to a 1.6

What?! The crank used in a 1.6 is from a GT, thus what you're saying about valves not lining up to the pistons, is incorrect. The cylinders are in the exact same position as a GT block, they simply have a larger bore diameter... Have you ever looked at any other SOHC Fiat heads mate? The valves are all in the same position, they're even all the same size. 36/33mm inlet/exhaust.

The Sporting conversion is considerably easier than the X1/9. I'm not just saying that because my dad's got the only working one on this forum and only the 2nd to have been shown. It genuinely is an uphill struggle building that conversion due to the many one off fabricated parts required. Stick to the Sporting idea, and do it yourself.

Punto know it all
    I can confirm what debo says as I have a 1600 block and gt head with forged internals
    It's not difficult to do yourself
    Bit of research and off you go

Quote Originally Posted by mawbster View Post
    i doubt you will find anybody to do this coversion for you. thier arent that many about and from previos people doing things alng this like its much better to use a differnt block than the 1.6 as its not supposed to be very strong.

i belive people use the x19 block instead as its much better.

The sporting block is exactly the same as a GT one, just enlarged cylinder bores. The block can take any power output anyone on PSC can throw at it, plus bolts straight in.

Quote Originally Posted by shorty2289 View Post
    the gts head isnt ideal as the valves in cylinders 2 and 3 are not inline with the pistons when fitted to a 1.6
    The crank spacing, bore and valve alignment is uniform Mike, they're all centered.

Fred Elliot, i say Fred Elliot! Mawbster's Avatar
    xternally it might be the same but obviously for reasons you have explained it is obviously different.

As i have explained eariler. Proficency in this conversion is not widespread and i doubt that you would be able to find anybody to do this conversion FOR YOU but i would suggest if you have the time and patience to do it yourself.

The only people that could possibly comment on the strength of this engine are people that are using it and somebody to have broken one in the search for power. Im merley repeating what i had read previously.

Everything else thats posted here is hearsay and theory.

arbathgt what is the reason behind deciding on the 1600? most people decide to do it to learn about the car and have something different.

i just dont understand the reasoning behind having the conversion done for you as opposed to having a go.

Punto Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mawbster View Post
    xternally it might be the same but obviously for reasons you have explained it is obviously different.

As i have explained eariler. Proficency in this conversion is not widespread and i doubt that you would be able to find anybody to do this conversion FOR YOU but i would suggest if you have the time and patience to do it yourself.

The only people that could possibly comment on the strength of this engine are people that are using it and somebody to have broken one in the search for power. Im merley repeating what i had read previously.

Everything else thats posted here is hearsay and theory.

arbathgt what is the reason behind deciding on the 1600? most people decide to do it to learn about the car and have something different.

i just dont understand the reasoning behind having the conversion done for you as opposed to having a go.
    Yh you're right, i wanted to do this project so i could learn from it, but there is so many people putting me off saying its too hard or complicated. I think I'm going to do it myself and take my time and if it doesnt go the way i want i can always go back. cheers guys.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast