Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: quick glanza!

Lifeless Geek - need to get out more! Todd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    But again, thats what i mean and a great example of where this always goes...

Tuned Punto, more than just a bleed valve and exhuast here, a good %'age more power than stock vs a standard car, doesnt matter what the other car is, its 3 quarters BS.

Only way you would have a conclusion worth believeing would be a drag race, or even something like the MLR's 30-130 competition.

In a real situation its not so clean cut, i dont believe a Seb4 punto would keep with another car that has 280hp nevermind pull a gap. Doent matter about power-to-weight ratios, HP per tonne or the transmission lay out.
    I agree with you totally, I wasn't bashing the evo. Was using it as a comparison that the glands may not be as quick as it looks in the vid that's all

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Boot your dosey missus out and get a proper car Matt
    hahaha

Punto know it all
    a punto isnt at home doing 130 anyway (well mine isnt) so wouldnt even factor in a 30-130 pull and i lose interest anyway at speeds anywhere near 3 figures as i like my licence. i tend to play around at the lower end of the scale where the punto is at its best but we know its no 0-60 in 4.5 seconds jobby. anyway this thread was about glanza but as we're talking GTs compared to higher powered cars, allow me to retort......

punto seb 4 with 200bhp is 200 per ton (funnily enough). i cannot for the life of me see how weight doesnt matter against another car with 280bhp because as standard yes a GT would be mullered if the car in question also weighed 1000kg but most weigh at least 1250kg many are nearer 1300kg some are even lardier than that 1400, 1500, 1600kgs. taking 1400kg as a conservative ballpark youre already down to a level playing field of exactly the same 200 per ton. you could have a million horsepower but if your trying to tow Jupiter behind you then youre screwed.
    in this example it IS down to gearing and the driver (plus the road conditions if the 280 car has all the 4 wheel trickery to baby sit him). the GT wouldnt perhaps pull on the other car but it would stay with it no prob and besides it always easier chasing than leading - christ my weedy 1.4 with less than half the horsepower of your evo dan could stay with a 2 litre megane 230. make the punto say for arguments sake 500kgs and still try telling me weight doesnt matter.

anyway at least glanza boy could drive straight past the next petrol station without wincing eh?
    Last edited by clarkster; 8th February 2011 at 10:10.

Punto Lover
    I think evos are great, although isnt the whole point of tuning a car like a pgt, starlet, r5, to beat higher performance cars in there standard form? Obviouslyif you put as much money/time/effort into an evo then that would blow it. I dont think thats really relative here though as its common sense

Punto Lover
    at a guess I would say it was running the 1500 bottom end and from what Ive seen and been told that 300bhp is'nt all that hard to get from the standard engine, Ive been in a few very quick starlet's/glanza's and seen them out drag bigger and better cars, there reliable aswell but if i was given one i would take it, coz every little boy racer has one in Ireland

Lifeless Geek - need to get out more! Todd's Avatar
    The Yaris 1500 iirc? My mate was gonna do that to his. I personally really like them. My mates had a hybrid turbo and ran a 13.1 at pod on standard bottom end. Was fooking quick lol

Its actually the Paseo 15 Block, Glanza head bolts right on....

Quote Originally Posted by clarkster View Post
    a punto isnt at home doing 130 anyway (well mine isnt) so wouldnt even factor in a 30-130 pull and i lose interest anyway at speeds anywhere near 3 figures as i like my licence. i tend to play around at the lower end of the scale where the punto is at its best but we know its no 0-60 in 4.5 seconds jobby. anyway this thread was about glanza but as we're talking GTs compared to higher powered cars, allow me to retort......

punto seb 4 with 200bhp is 200 per ton (funnily enough). i cannot for the life of me see how weight doesnt matter against another car with 280bhp because as standard yes a GT would be mullered if the car in question also weighed 1000kg but most weigh at least 1250kg many are nearer 1300kg some are even lardier than that 1400, 1500, 1600kgs. taking 1400kg as a conservative ballpark youre already down to a level playing field of exactly the same 200 per ton. you could have a million horsepower but if your trying to tow Jupiter behind you then youre screwed.
    in this example it IS down to gearing and the driver (plus the road conditions if the 280 car has all the 4 wheel trickery to baby sit him). the GT wouldnt perhaps pull on the other car but it would stay with it no prob and besides it always easier chasing than leading - christ my weedy 1.4 with less than half the horsepower of your evo dan could stay with a 2 litre megane 230. make the punto say for arguments sake 500kgs and still try telling me weight doesnt matter.

anyway at least glanza boy could drive straight past the next petrol station without wincing eh?

So why compare a small hatch to something like a big saloon??

It matters a whole lot when its an Arial Atom, but less when its something more normal or an Evo, or even better an R35 GTR... 1700+ kilo, its still FAF and thats down to delivery of torque and BHP and alot to do with transmission if your going from a standing start, capacity is a big factor too. Im not discounting BHP per tonne, but thats what alot of people always cling too in discussions like these and it isnt the deciding factor. Most of the time its a completely daft scenario where one car cant win, or is loosing before the moron clicks record.

If you take a Seb4 GT, 200bhp and ~200hp/per tonne, and for arguments sake the Evo VII in the video, stock output 276hp and weight is 1400kilo, funnily enough is ~200hp per tonne, at no point will the Punto snatch any kind of lead, or hold one, its not simple to illustrate, but it just wont.

The Glanza in the vid must be over 250hp, but its not a missile like some cars on the tube. But in the one run they have, the GLanza is shifting before the Evo makes a sound, jump start, drive through penalty get back on the fail train

Yeah the fuel consumption ****s me off but the smiles per gallon batter anything else i could afford or want.

Punto know it all
    Power weight ratio is everything. A 250hp with easily pull gaps on an 280hp evo, subaru sti and even keep up with an RS6 (and so on) from 30-130.

Punto know it all
    250hp punto gt*

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast