Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New punto sporting owner (devon)

Banned

New punto sporting owner (devon)

Hi i have a new car (my second car) and its a punto sporting 1.2 16v, i bought it in a bit of a rush on the 23rd dec because of writing off my polo on the motorway anyway... bought the car from a dodgy dealer (i didnt know they were dodgy) for cheap and on the way back home the car loses power, oh what a supprise the head gaskets gone cant take it back and the company basicly laughed in my face, going through court soon.. anyway, heres a pic of the car (stickers coming off soon) does anyone know who owned it before i bought it? someone in wellington. Thanks

Punto know it all
    I've never seen that one on here before.
    1.2 16v engines are quite cheap to get hold of, so its not the end of the world.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sicskate View Post
    I've never seen that one on here before.
    1.2 16v engines are quite cheap to get hold of, so its not the end of the world.
    Theres a new head gasket going in it in about 2 hours 200 quid, when i went to the garage cylinders 2 and 3 are running at 40psi, can i put a standard exhaust back on this car because atm its got some massive monster truck like loud thing on lol

Punto Lover
    yeah course you can, or buy a more suitable exhaust for how you want it to sound

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ash0098 View Post
    yeah course you can, or buy a more suitable exhaust for how you want it to sound
    I will see how it sounds when its running on more than 2 cylinders first lol but it sounds like a truck

Punto Lover
    2 Things here, if you have receipt and proof of the purchase im sure all dealers are legally required to provide 3 months warranty by law.

2nd as mentioned head gaskets arent all that expensive to fix as long as its not warped the head and damaged any of the jackets/waterways.

fngers crossed for you mate.

I got stiched when i bought my first GT from a dealer 8 years ago, the thing was ****ing rapid and i didnt know anything about them lol. Well i found out why it was rapid on the M25 with Minifreak, it was running 2 bar boost and it shattered my turbo on the motorway. It also had a badly cracked head and manifold, i got a new turbo fitted by them under warranty i swallowed the bill for the head and bottom end

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    2 Things here, if you have receipt and proof of the purchase im sure all dealers are legally required to provide 3 months warranty by law.

2nd as mentioned head gaskets arent all that expensive to fix as long as its not warped the head and damaged any of the jackets/waterways.

fngers crossed for you mate.

I got stiched when i bought my first GT from a dealer 8 years ago, the thing was ****ing rapid and i didnt know anything about them lol. Well i found out why it was rapid on the M25 with Minifreak, it was running 2 bar boost and it shattered my turbo on the motorway. It also had a badly cracked head and manifold, i got a new turbo fitted by them under warranty i swallowed the bill for the head and bottom end
    Hi, thanks i hope it is a simple fix, i will find out when it comes back tomorrow, i phoned the mechanic that used to service the car up in wellington and he told be the kid who had the car last used to rag the **** out of it and blew 2 head gaskets in the year he had it, so prob he done it again and traded it in. The dealer are horrible c**ts, i called them and they basicly laughed in my face, told me in the small print it says you buy the car how you see it, theres no guarantee that the car is broken or working, why do you think it was so cheap. So i have to go the legal route :/... if its ok tomorrow then im gonna figure out how to put my stereo in, the stereo wires were just cut need a scrappy to rob a plug with the wires attached

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by maj0rsnatch View Post
    Hi, thanks i hope it is a simple fix, i will find out when it comes back tomorrow, i phoned the mechanic that used to service the car up in wellington and he told be the kid who had the car last used to rag the **** out of it and blew 2 head gaskets in the year he had it, so prob he done it again and traded it in. The dealer are horrible c**ts, i called them and they basicly laughed in my face, told me in the small print it says you buy the car how you see it, theres no guarantee that the car is broken or working, why do you think it was so cheap. So i have to go the legal route :/... if its ok tomorrow then im gonna figure out how to put my stereo in, the stereo wires were just cut need a scrappy to rob a plug with the wires attached
    Sounds like a right little prick owned it before you, which is a shame being a V reg its one of the last.

Well if its sold as seen, you aint really got a leg to stand on have you how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking? In all fairness they could of at least offered to pay half the repair bill with you 50/50.

About the stereo plugs, they are standard ISO connections, but as you mentioned it best to go to a scrappy and but your own out of the loom and but connect it to yours wire for wire. Makes sure you leave at least 6 inches of the loom being the plug when u cut it out, the aerial plug is coax cable can be joined but wont look very neat, still better than running a whole new one in though i guess :S

Good luck!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Sounds like a right little prick owned it before you, which is a shame being a V reg its one of the last.

Well if its sold as seen, you aint really got a leg to stand on have you how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking? In all fairness they could of at least offered to pay half the repair bill with you 50/50.

About the stereo plugs, they are standard ISO connections, but as you mentioned it best to go to a scrappy and but your own out of the loom and but connect it to yours wire for wire. Makes sure you leave at least 6 inches of the loom being the plug when u cut it out, the aerial plug is coax cable can be joined but wont look very neat, still better than running a whole new one in though i guess :S

Good luck!
    It was 500 quid, i have a receipt for new head gasket and skim, water pump, wipers, bit of welding and service/mot.... all this was done in july so something must be really wrong this time for him to sell it for real cheap, hope it gets fixed. The garage that sold it to me also have a mot/service station and mechanics working there aswell so they could of fixed it if they could be bothered :/ guess i just have to hope its not something more serious now. I got told by the bloke that used to service it that the kid used to try to impress his mates by revving the **** out of it in 3rd or 4th then dropping it right down to 2nd or something so the exhaust goes real loud, and thats how he broke the first gasket, would this cause it to keep breaking them untill he gave up and sold it lol

Punto know it all
    To be honest with you, for £500 and being a 1999-2000 model even if you have to pay another £500 it's still a reasonable buy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast