Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to... safely clean an engine bay

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant

Infact, I have the 303 range, as I also use their fabric cleaner and also fabric protectant - it's really good stuff. The Fiesta you see was actually a brand new car, I ended up doing the full lot inside and out, as that particular dealer employs Stevie Wonder to prep thier cars.

Just a quick update for 2011.

The technique and instructions remain the same as the guide on page one - only this time I have opted to show you tinfoil wrapped around the electricals. This is by far the better option over a freezer bag or whatever, because the tinfoil clings tightly to whatever it is you're wrapping it round

Spray APC over the dirty areas generously, agitate with a selection of brushes to help remove the dirt, and then rinse using a shallow angle and with the pressure washer as far away from the engine as possible.. allow to dry, and then apply a dressing of your choice - this one shows the 303 Aerospace Protectant:

Any questions, just ask. Not alot to dress on a GT engine, although the silicone hoses come up a treat using the 303, but I respect there's some newer Punto's and other cars on the forum who may benefit from this guide.

Cheers,
    Matt.

"Tin foil on electricals"....now hang on a minute....electrics, tin foil is metal... Hmmm thats sensible isn't it. Are you crazy?

Punto Lover
    Cling film maybe?

Because I didn't fancy this, I got my mate to put the foil on the battery. He's in A&E now so I wouldn't recommend this.

Now, I know you don't know much about cars Hans, but the item nearest the camera covered in foil in the 2nd picture is the ABS control module, behind that is the ECU and associated wiring, which as you can see in the uncovered photos is in a plastic shroud. The intention is to cover componants which don't want to be subjected to water ingress. Even in the pictures shown in the opening post, I have not covered the battery - merely the electric wiring connectors at various points of the engine bay. Surely common sense dictates that you do not want to be bridging the terminals, nobody can be that stupid can they, apart from your "mate"?

As this is a forum however, and the ethos behind it is to help each other, please could you provide us with your insight on what should/shouldn't be covered and using what exactly? i.e do you have a better way of cleaning an engine bay, if so, please share it with us rather than bluntly replying "I would not recommend this".

Thanks

Edit; unconstructive post.

Please refer to the opening post and read the guide thoroughly for a full explanation of one universally recognised 'safe' method of cleaning an engine bay.

If you have no interest in cleaning/detailing then refrain from visiting this section of the forum.

Thanks,

Debo & the forum management team
    Last edited by Debo; 21st May 2011 at 21:56. Reason: unconstructive post

Quote Originally Posted by ash0098 View Post
    Cling film maybe?
    Cling film or similar (I used freezer bags in the opening post in this thread) will be fine, though tinfoil is fine and accepted worldwide. You are only covering electrical componants and connections, the reason for doing this is so water isn't forced into any important wiring under pressure. If you look at my pictures, you can see the areas I am talking about

If a battery is present in the engine bay, like on a Punto, the positive terminal is likely to be covered by a rubber sleeve, so you would only need to cover the negative, whatever the circumstances, you wouldn't need or want to cover the whole battery, because you'd want to clean it!

Punto Enthusiast
    great tutorial! thx!

Punto know it all
    iv reworded this and used it for my college work
    cheers
    Last edited by cragterharris; 20th October 2011 at 22:06. Reason: bad wording

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12