Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sumbody who knows there stuff....

Punto Enthusiast

Sumbody who knows there stuff....

Hi everyone,

Recently, sum of my interior wiring burnt when a penny got stuck in the cigarete lighter socket and therefore as above it melted up and stuck to a few more. To be honest when it happened to my partner, i was devastated and need it back on the road.

Anyway, since then i have baught a second hand interior loom (of which i am hopeing i will only need one particular bunch of the wires) to fix it. Ive now dismantled virtually all the front dash apart from the steering wheel (dont know how) and taken out all fixings(im sure).

I was wondering if there was anybody in surrey here that knows exactly what there doing that can come and save my gt, and earn a few bob at the same time?

Punto know it all
    I think the member "Tom" lives in Surrey somewhere?
    You will need the remove the whole dash the swap the loom.

Also shorty2289 did exactly the same thing with a penny.
    He swapped the whole loom over.

Hmmm, bit of a stinker that as alot of the wires for the handbrake light and other bits run down there!

It wont be a hard job, just time consuming!

Punto Enthusiast
    hhmm well i baught a hayes and followed instructions although it wont tell me how to remove the steering wheel on an airbag model. Its been straight forward so far, but i wont touch sumthing im unsure of.

As far as damge goes, my cd player, alarm, central locking, dash lights, arent working my rear indicators have gone since i think but have got that far yet. So abit of a bugger over the silliest thing ever!!!!! Headache.

I've never removed an airbag tbh, however i know you should leave the battery un hooked for at least 30min prior!

The wheel will be a massive git to get off once the airbags out the way, make sure you've got your strong arms on!

Punto Enthusiast
    oh my days, 30mins? why? I made a cuppa tea and had a fag and a lil read of the hayes but maybe thats 20mins!

Punto Enthusiast
    so how do you take the steering wheel off? Is it complicated and ive got the loom for the interior and that should solve it.

Punto Lover
    3 allen key bolts at the back of the steering wheel, that will allow for the airbag to come off, then one large 17 or 19 nut holding the wheel on. mark the position of the steering wheel as it is on splines and needs to be put back on the correct ones. just a stupid question but are the wires totally burnt through?? have you ckecked the fuses?

Punto Enthusiast
    yes the fuse that runs the cd player, cigarette lighter has gone and burnt abit and the wire for the lighter has burnt right up to the bunch it joins too also. The central locking and alarm also runs off that fuse though? tbh i havent checked those facts but i was just going to take it off and look. I dont know a huge deal about cars but im good with tool, hands.
    I just thaught what if i manage to do all this put it back on and sumthings still wrong? Im not taking that risk when im unsure. But im darn temted lol

Punto Enthusiast
    And after that stage, the dash can come off? thanx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast