Thread: abarth or t jet punto?

abarth or t jet punto?

Hi everyone. I currently own a t jet punto sporting and I have been to test drive a brand new abarth punto today. In all honesty i could not tell the difference from the t jet performance wise, but the car looks the biz.
    There's one thing I did not like and that was the wheel arches which are black plastic. Could they discolour like a ford KA bumper? Is it worh part-exing my t jet for the abarth? Is the difference that noticeable from the t jet to the abarth?

Punto Enthusiast punto_dunsmore's Avatar
    Apart from looks, not alot... (unless of course you go for the essesse kit aswell, bigger turbo, remap, gives 180 bhp rather than the 155).

The t-jet standard puts out 140 standard, but alot of guys who have had it RR'd say it actually puts out a bit more than that...

Can I ask if you drove the abarth with the sports button on? it ups the torque slightly so should give a bit more pull.

For a couple hundred squids, you can get the t-jet remapped, not sure exactly what figures you'll get but I assume it'l be around the same as the abarth standard, however as said the essesse is noticably quicker.

For some info on remapped t-jets, have a look over on fiatforum.com, alot of those boys have their t-jets remapped.

Personally I would go for the Abarth as it looks the absolute bollocks, and if you're worried about the black arches, just get it in black, looks spankin'..

Hope this helps mate

thanks for the reply mate. personally looking at the abarth and the t jets i do prefer the look of the t jet more as it is all colour co-ordinated. i think its such a shame the abarth has plastic trims all over, even the back bumper is all plastic. for f**cks sake its a 16 17 grand motor, i cant believe it, it may have put me off as i would have to finance roughly another 5k to get one. one thing that is better on the abarth is the interior compared to the t jet. the scorpion badges and seats are the biz and the gear stick seems quite a bit smoother when changing gear. I think modding my t jet mite be the way forward now. i must admit though i dont really want to f*ck up my 5 year warranty i got with my t jet just incase anything goes wrong. so its true the t jet produces 140bhp standard, i always thought it felt faster than it should be and yesterday i got up to the standard 120mph max speed and it felt like there was more left in it. is the 0-60 time of 8.9secs more realistic or is the t jet capable of doing this in a faster time? also would my warranty be void as soon as i do anything to the engine?

Fiat say 120bhp but most that have been on RR as standard have made around 140bhp after re-map and induction you would be looking at about 155bhp,fitting catback exhaust will prob take you 160 ish after that you would have to fit intercooler and have re-map tweaked then you will be at the limit of the turbo so maybe 165/170 tops,having said that having all that done would void your warranty i'm sure

is it possible to achieve 200bhp with the abarth turbo fitted also? is there anywhere you can buy the abarth interiors e.g seats and badges? is red dot tuning the place to go to get all work done? and do they stock all of the parts mentioned? if not where can i buy these accessories? sorry for all the questions i am completly new to car modding

remaps from reddot in london are 199 + 150 for GSR induction and thats going with FF to a organised day,Normal price 350 + induction,Forge motorsport do intercooler for 345,and silicone pipe kit,for exhaust try supersprint etc,you can fit bigger turbo off abarth but you will need big pockets think 1 from fiat is around 800, think if your trying for 200+ on bhp clutch would want up rating and few other things,abarth badges u can get off ebay,and there are seats out there similar to the abarth.http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/ [url]http://gsrengineering.com/[/url http://www.reddotracing.co.uk/ http://www.fiatforum.com/events/207097-rolling-road-re-map-day-4th-october.html
    Last edited by pm7159; 22nd February 2010 at 22:10.

thanks mate you have been very helpful. i now just have to make a decision on voiding my warranty or not lol! I got 5 years warranty on my t jet and i have had it just under a year. the upgrades are very tempting and at the cost of a beastly upgrade it would still be cheaper than taking out another 5k finance out on an abarth. if i get problems with upgrades who is the best to deal with my t jet? as warranty would be void. im from sunderland and red dot tuning is quite a distance for me. would you recommend anyone else appart from red dot? maby a north east tuner? I still have allot to learn about modding and it does sound very interesting.

thanks m8,i only said reddot because they have rolling road at ther premisses so you will have gains of your BHP on a graph before and after there are mobile tuners such as Angel tuning who will come to your home or place of work but if you wanted to prove actual gains you would have to go on rolling road before and after at your cost.I was same regarding re-map only have my 1.4 8v as daily runner so going to london and paying 200 didn't seem worth the 10bhp gain so just did other mods had it lowered,17"wheels mainly cosmetic mods.Think if i had T-jet would be happy with140bhp to be honest and just do few other things lowering and under car bracing which will help with the handling of the GP.IF you just get it mapped unlikely Fiat/Dealer would ever no because it's not visable,just things like induction,intercooler that are visable they tend to comment on,when i had mine in dealers man came out and asked what is that big blue tube,just said my gsr induction and he just carried on doing a recall check but didn't mention about it being lowered or after market wheels. but only 3mths warrenty left now.And as with all mods you will have to notify your insurance,and that can and will increase your premium.read this thread m8 before using mobile tuner such as Angel/celtic might help you decide on reddot http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/...ad.php?t=92110
    Last edited by pm7159; 22nd February 2010 at 22:03.

the abarth smashes it