Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SSQV fitted.

SSQV fitted.

Yeah so i put this on today, its been in the garage gathering dust & i had to replace my radiator aswell.

Oh yeah superdan is a fooking diamond.

Punto Lover
    what does she sound like?

LOL alot like a baileys believe it or not.

Punto Lover
    lol fair enough

What did i do Steve?

Looks good, loved my SSQV, id put it on the Evo but quite like the Blitz one thats on it already!!

Well dan after i fitted it this morning i took her for a drive & all wasent well, stopping at junctions it was wanting to cut out & so on, got to a petrol station to put some juice in her & it was busy so i turn the ignition off for about 5min. Come for me to move up the line, she starts fine but will not idle just die, ANYHOO long story short got the fooker back home just, popped bonnet ready to put it back to standed recirc then i remembered that thread that you commeted on mate abit back with you saying to turn the throttle hammer to 1500 rpm then turn shut her down,
    waited 10 sec turn her on again & bang, it idles at 800 rpm.

Took her for a blast around the estate & not one problem. So thank you dan.

What a hacky way to make a dump valve NOT for a punto work.

Cannot believe this generation....

What would you have then james if not ssqv? Baileys? Collins?

Modifying a car engine to make some types or parts fit is fine.

However some parts, and SOME part not all aren't designed for the Punto when there are not supporting modifications.

Now, put simply the Bosch Motronic system cannot run a single piston dump valve; thats what these Japanese blow off valves are. The engine will stall, because under idle the dump valve lets air out the system.

Now the reason why you have things like Bailey DV24 (single piston dump valve for cars without an air flow meter) and a DV26 (double piston dump valve for cars like the GT with an air flow meter) is that the second piston closes to counter the first one opening thus the car doesnt stall.

Everytime you are flooring it, you are leaking boost through the dump valve. I'm not sure how bad it is on the SSQV but I know it happens on a DV24.

Now the way people 'make it work' is to raise the idle so that it doesn't stall. This is what pisses me off with Punto owners, they are bodging something to make it work.

These dump valves make your car run rich, because air leaks from the system.

How many people run sebchips on a dyno and are actually running a single piston dump valve/SSQV blow off valve and blame the chip for example.

Your turn the idle up so that its adding extra air in just to keep it idling. When ordinarily 5% throttle gives you 800rpm, now you needing 10% throttle to make the same rpm.

Plus as its running rich, you are also probably gonna bore wash your engine, yes it'll pop and bang more, and probably flame. But your ****ing your car up.

Anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hans View Post
    Modifying a car engine to make some types or parts fit is fine.

However some parts, and SOME part not all aren't designed for the Punto when there are not supporting modifications.

Now, put simply the Bosch Motronic system cannot run a single piston dump valve; thats what these Japanese blow off valves are. The engine will stall, because under idle the dump valve lets air out the system.

Now the reason why you have things like Bailey DV24 (single piston dump valve for cars without an air flow meter) and a DV26 (double piston dump valve for cars like the GT with an air flow meter) is that the second piston closes to counter the first one opening thus the car doesnt stall.

Everytime you are flooring it, you are leaking boost through the dump valve. I'm not sure how bad it is on the SSQV but I know it happens on a DV24.

Now the way people 'make it work' is to raise the idle so that it doesn't stall. This is what pisses me off with Punto owners, they are bodging something to make it work.

These dump valves make your car run rich, because air leaks from the system.

How many people run sebchips on a dyno and are actually running a single piston dump valve/SSQV blow off valve and blame the chip for example.

Your turn the idle up so that its adding extra air in just to keep it idling. When ordinarily 5% throttle gives you 800rpm, now you needing 10% throttle to make the same rpm.

Plus as its running rich, you are also probably gonna bore wash your engine, yes it'll pop and bang more, and probably flame. But your ****ing your car up.

Anyway....

Anyway.... You know jack **** in this instant. On the odd occasion you do decided to delve into what your original blunt answer means you are total wide of the mark.

The SSQV isnt a piston DV, its a diaphram and door as such, like a wastegate but with the pressure in the pipework pushing the valve shut. Under any pressure a GT can put on it it wont ever leak, and automatically shuts fully under load.

I dont see the reason putting something like this on a GT despite for all intentions it never been meant for this kind of system. YOu arnt raising the idle either, your effectively changing the work the ICV does to return the car or maintain a steady idle by putting a little bit of give in the throttle butterfly, its open a few microns more which leaves the ICV to do less after a dump leaves the boost pipes without any positive pressure.

So in the end, these DV imparticular do nothing to the running of your car except improve response on upshifts, no running rich, no stalling, no bore wash etc etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast